crap in rad vin k 3800

ryan1989

Hey so I was this fourm way back when I had my cutty lost my account anyways here's what's up I just got this regal cheep rockers are ruff rest of her is pretty good ..... My question is does old Dex cool turn to sludge ? Rad cap was kinda gross but inside the manifold was clean I had the thermostat housing off I also am wondering if anyone has pics of lower intake failure on the dipstick my cap is looking iffy its been sitting so i was thinking its moisture but my dip stick reads high..... Can't tell if its newer oil or the beginning of lower intake failure.. The car has 156,0000,kms its not running hot or nothing memory's failing me now a days but I had blown 3100 intake gaskets before just it was more oblivious all yellow brown milk shake and Steem out the oil cap I just need some opinions trying to save cash

If it's brown, it's sludge and you need to get a coolant flush. The Dexcool has become trash. This would also be a good time to convert to the green stuff.

I'm not convinced brown Dex-cool turned brown on its own. The Dex-cool in my truck still looks bright reddish orange and looks like a fruit drink. I've never changed or flushed it. I know I should since it's well past its change-by date based on age and mileage, but it's never been at the forefront of my mind because it looks brand new.

Mother-in-law just bought a 2005 Chevy Malibu with the 3500 V6, and the Dex-cool in it is brown and looks like motor oil, with goopy sludge at the top. At first, I thought she shouldn't buy it because I thought it looked like motor oil mixing with the coolant, but I extracted some and it wasn't greasy at all and evaporated, leaving no oil.

Why would one older vehicle have Dex-cool that still looks brand new, when another has Dex-cool that looks like runny diarrhea? If there's something chemically wrong with the coolant itself, I'd think they'd all end up looking like runny diarrhea.

I'm with Gnat. When I worked at the dealer and even since I have never seen Dexcool on its own turn to sludge. It is always when it has been mixed with green coolant. Flush the hell out of it until it comes out clean and then flush it one more time. I personally recommend changing every hose once this is done and refill with coolant of choice and stick with that coolant only.