Strange shifting issue

jjm3210

New member here, just got a 1998 base Lumina with the 3100 engine and not sure if a 4T60 or 4T65 tranny. Only 100k miles!

Anywho it seems like whenever it gets colder it gets really difficult to move the shifting lever between any gears. It doesn't feel sticky or rough, its almost like there is a super thick liquid slowing it down. Park, neutral, and all the drive gears seem to work fine, no other problems with it.

Oh, and while searching for my problem I read that "nobody starts a thread by saying their 3100 runs great," so here it is! My 3100 runs great! I got the car from an uncle who just rebuilt after it threw a rod and its pretty good now.

Edited by jjm3210

assuming column shift, my monte did the same thing for the longest time.... turns out the ball looking thing(technical term) that rolls around under the cluster was REALLY dry. i sprayed some silicone on it and worked it back and forth from park to 1 about 10 times and then it loosened up considerably. still fairly easy to move a solid year and a half later.

probably. at a minimum, the cluster needs to come out, which is most easily done by pulling the lower panel and dropping the column a few inches.