Fog lights stopped working

olds65

Got a 92 olds cutlass supreme convertible and a few years back the fog lights just stopped working. I notice a lot of the same cars on the road have their fog lights off so not sure if this is a normal problem or not. And yeah i know its not the sealed beams themselves because Ive changed them. Anybody got any pointers?? thank ya:thumbsup:

So you have new bulbs?

Does the switch on the dash light up? If not could be a bad switch.

Are your hi beams on? If those are on, the fog lights will not be able to on.

Have check the the fuses/relays?

Yes new bulbs, yes the fog light switch does light up. and no I dont keep my high beams on hardly.

and for the fuses/relays. I do have my little manual that came with the car that shows that stuff. Now is there a fuse and or relay for the fog lights specifically?? Because they used to work so it has to be something stupid. Wiring and electrical is not my fancy so thanks for the help

Yeah if the fuse is blown replace it.

Also it wouldnt hurt to look at the wires that go to your fog lights. Years ago I had to replace a section on my CS becuase the wire was rubbing eventually wore away the insulation and shorted out.

Yeah maybe I should visually check the wires before I go any further. Im hoping it is something stupid. Ive neglected it and id like to get it fixed and working again. Thanks

There is a light in the fog light switch?:think:

Another line to the "CS to do" list.

You could always take a voltmeter, turn the switch on with the engine running or key to ON and see what voltage you have.

• 1 year later...

I replaced mine with some offroad bulbs and noticed that the original 885 bulbs can appear to be good but in fact are bad. Also use some dialectic grease when you re-install what ever you put down there because of everything electrical on the CS the fog light harness and rear O2 sensor harness are the two most exposed electrical circuits.

But if both went at the same time I`d definitely check for power at both sockets before replacing anything. The problem could be further up before the switch that effects both sockets. I wonder instead of the on/off switch for the fog lights if the headlight switch could be the culprit. IIRC the fog light circuit involves the main headlight switch as well but I don't have my service manual with ATM.