Looking for help with replacing lower engine mount

SCARP55

I just joined this site so I'm not familiar with how to search the forum for related posts. I read something prior to registering that convinced me I have a badly worn lower mount. When I subsequently inspected my vehicle, it was very apparent that the rubber on the right side mount was shot. I enjoy tinkering on this old car and would like some opinions on replacing it myself or having it done in a local shop. Please advise.

~SC

No idea what car or year so I'm going to assume a 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme like the last 7 new people have. Doesn't really matter as the procedure is basically the same for every engine found in a W-body car. The 3.4 DOHC(LQ1) will only have one upper mount.

You want to have the vehicle on a level surface, chock the rear wheels on both sides and jack the front up or set it on ramps. I like inspecting everything any opportunity I get so I always remove the wheels but is not required. Trans to neutral, block of wood across oil pan to spread weight out!!!!!! The manual states NOT to do this as their is little clearance between oil pump components and oil pan. However your are not going to bend the pan using a decently thick 2x4 or 2x6.

Before lifting the engine remove the upper bolts on the trans and engine mount, then undo the lowers, that way you can slowly raise the engine enough to wiggle either mount out, I`d do them both at the same time while you are at it.

Reverse process, open beer.

Fluid filled mounts will fail a lot sooner than solid mounts will, if already purchased fluid mounts you can drill a hole on both ends to drain it out and shoot that thing full of "Liquid Nails" construction adhesive and let that set. Will be 100% cured in about a week and that tightens the hold on the engine. Will cause an increase in vibration as the other fluid mounts absorb a lot of feedback from the engine.

If you need help changing the top mounts then take it to a mechanic as you shouldn't be allowed near tools.

If you need help changing the top mounts then take it to a mechanic as you shouldn't be allowed near tools.

Good write-up!

Agreed the upper is a simple job, I did the same mod to my uppers as you describe on the lowers and filled the gaps, but I used Silicone.