DIS & ACC from 1990 Ninety-eight

Reride

DIC yes, ACC no.

DIC will wire up and mount, but the programming is different so the fuel will be

slightly off. The 98 DIC is programmed for the 3.8 VS the 3.1/3.4.

The Cutlass Supreme DIC is usually software version 2.1 W but the

98 will probably be software version 2.2 CH Other than the slight

fuel difference, everything else will work the same (used it in my 1988 Cutlass

Supreme with no real issues for MANY years before I got a 2.1 W)

As far as the ACC goes, COMPLETLY different animal. It LOOKS the same, but its not.

The 98 is a BCM controlled car, but the Cutlass Supreme is a NON-BCM car. The 98

ACC is just a control head that sends signals to the BCM and the BCM is what controls

TEMP, POSITION, ETC. The Cutlass one is a stand alone unit.

If you remove the Cutlass Supreme ACC you will see the case is pretty much the same as

the non ACC setup, but the 98's control is just a control head.

The DIS is for one of my '94's, but I assume that your response still applies. I typed '92 out of habit (it's my most days driver).

I guess that I will use the ACC to attempt to replace the buttons for one of my CSC's. Thanks Again, Steve.

Edited by Reride

from what i can tell, the C/H cars used a version of the DIS that isn't able to be modified, but the A, N and W cars all had seperate PROMs inside, i've pulled the BIN from a 2.1 W DIS(didn't check which engine yet) and from a 3.0 LG7 N-body, so i could at least reprogram any A/N/W DIS to N and W specs by changing out the existing PROM and throwing in a reprogramable one.

since injector flowrate(and usage) comes over the datastream, the only things that i can see that are engine/platform specific are total fuel capacity, the fuel level linearization curve and perhaps an engine oil life calculation that is unique to each engine, though i can't confirm the last one, i need more PROMs to check first.

being a 94, you would need a patched datastream in the PCM to make it work correctly anyways.

94 does not work right. Different computer setups. I had one in my 94 convertible but it was mostly for looks only. I think the gauges worked, and the trip computer part worked, but nothing else did. Hmmm, the TACH might not have worked. Honestly, I put it in mostly because I didn't have the smaller cubby hole for my HUD dimmer switch.

IIRC there is someone on this forum that makes a chip for it that allows for it to work correctly, can't remember who though, even if I can they might do that anymore.

It's been awhile since I read about it.

I ain't been on this site in so long, I really have no idea. Only over here because the other site is dead. Too many trolls here, although it seems to be better than it was when I first got banned.

Yes, the BUTTONS themselves can be used, I upgraded the buttons on my 94's ATC with buttons from the 92 Toronado (same size buttons, just more rounded, and black, not recessed and gray).

Gnat-go-splat did the dic upgrade by editing the prom in his 94 vert, and RobertISaar has helped me do it so i was able to try one in my 95 LQ1, though it only sat on the floor...

Well I guess that the search continues for the DIS, but at least it is expanded. I wasn't really aware that they came so many other platforms.

RobertlSaar, if I find one from a non w-body would you be willing to mod it for me? Thanks, Steve.

RobertlSaar, if I find one from a non w-body would you be willing to mod it for me? Thanks, Steve.

you would have to be absolutely certain to inspect the one you're considering purchasing to make sure that it is a mod'able one, i'm sure a lot of A/N/W owners have tried swapping a C/H unit in before and probably the other way around as well. i can't find any reference pictures to show which ones are able to be modified compared to those that can't. i'll have to see what kind of line of sight is possible with it all together. there are two signs that it will be a modifiable unit, at least one of which should be visible without taking it apart.

non-modifiable = 78C14 processor and no seperate PROM(should have a large sticker on it, probably with a 3-digit code, such as 741)

modifiable = 78C10 processor and a seperate PROM

....... ...... ....

actually, here we go, i knew there was a thread about it.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/77841-Oldsmobile-DIS-software-version-for3-4-DOHC?highlight=78c10

that shows what you don't want, notice the 78C14 part number on the processor. the 78C10 model will have one more chip, IIRC, that is the PROM.

I have a functioning DIS in my 94. I don't think the tach works unless the prom is modified.

wouldn't surprise me...... the big difference between the datastreams is slight reorganization, but also a different module ID. both of which will cause issues for the DIS.

• 9 years later...

The Climate Control from the 98 is different, but get it if you like backlighting. The "ELECTRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL" words can be backlit on the 98 version.

• 1 month later...

Lol! I figured I could help out those that are reading up, the few of us W-body people left anyway. In my previous Cutlass, I pulled the ECC out of a Olds 98, it didn't wire up, but I took the face plate off of it and swapped it with the one in my 94 vert. It's been a while, but I remember putting a light behind "ELECTRONIC CLIMATE CONTROL", but can't remember what I tapped into, probably the ashtray light I would guess.