How do I remove the center console??

Fred931

It's my '90 TGP, and I'm doing some "exploratory surgery" on the center piece, looking for ideas such as relocating the extra power seat controller, adding cupholders in one way or another, replacing DIC with carputer, etc. And I can't figure out what's holding the assembly down.

I found two screws that held down the top plastic piece covered by the brown folding armrest, but it only loosened the section and didn't free it. I tried the four screws that attach the aesthetic plastic to the underside of the armrest (expecting them to be attaching the entire armrest to the hinge assembly), and that didnt make much progress either, other than allowing me to twist the plastic bit a lot.

I'm at work now so I can't get any pictures or take a look in the next several hours.

well there are 3 bolts to remove upon opening of the center console, 2 in the small compartment and 1 in the big compartment. the storage tray should then come out revealing 2 bolts holding the gray piece of the center console that surrounds the dic and shifter assembally. that is as far apart as i have had mine but my guess is you should be able to find the other bolts after removing those items.

Remove the shifter knob by putting the gear shifter into 1ST gear. On the side that

faces the radio is a clip. Just use a flat screwdriver to pry it out and the shifter

knob just lifts straight off.

3 bolts inside the arm rest (2 near the hinge, one near the front on the bottom).

Once the 3 bolts are out, the storage compartment will lift straight up.

2 bolts when you get the storage thing out to remove the top cover towards the

storage area. The entire top piece will lift straight up (be sure the shifter is in

neutral or further back towards first). There is also some clips holding the top

part in that will have to be popped out around the DIC.

There are I think 4 more bolts (10 mm) that hold the console into the car. 2

near the back under the storage area, and 2 near the front of the shifter assembly.

Once those are out, the whole console should lift out.

Also a good idea to remove the DIC, and wiring (4 bolts for the DIC).