5 1/4 to 6 1/2

lumidohc

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I have a 95 Lumina LS with 5 1/4 inch front door speakers and was wondering if I would be able to install 6 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers without much trouble. Anybody know? :dunno:

5 1/4 is just a smaller 6 1/2 speaker. It will fit no problem, but you may have to redrill the holes if the speaker doesn't line up with the factory holes.

I had 6.5" speakers inside the doors of my 97 monte, wasnt too hard to swap in

What all did you have to do to it? Just re-drill holes or is there more to it than that?

5 1/4 is just a smaller 6 1/2 speaker. It will fit no problem, but you may have to redrill the holes if the speaker doesn't line up with the factory holes.

Alright cool man, thank you. I'll give it a try then and hope for the best :thumbsup:

No problem. If the rear of the speakers won't clear the 5 1/4 hole, don't mess around with it too much. I know Alpine's are made to fit both 5 1/4, 6 1/2 and 6 3/4 holes. Try the type E's although I would recommend searching for the Type R's online.

ask yourself what you are after. more midrange or more bass. neither one would necessarily require a change of speaker diameter.

I just want more power. The 6x9s and the subs are over powering the sound up front even with tweeters and it gives it an off balance sound. It bugs the hell out of me haha :bang:

I just want more power. The 6x9s and the subs are over powering the sound up front even with tweeters and it gives it an off balance sound. It bugs the hell out of me haha :bang:

I know how that is. My friend's stratus was like that, but it turned out that his radio was trash and he needed a new one. Are the 6x9's hooked up to an amplifier by any chance? If you're after more power, you're going to need to get a 4 channel amp for your 6 1/2 and 6x9 speakers. Aftermarket radios usually put out only 14-22 watts RMS per speaker. I know the 5 1/2 probably aren't loud because they're smaller but because the 6x9 sit higher and they have more cone area, they will always sound louder. In fact, they can sometimes sound as if you had a small subwoofer instead of a 6x9.

Based on what you are saying, here's what I would recommend.

This is the Alpine SPS 610. A step up from the Type E's I was talking about in my other post, but the hertz range is 70-22k. This doesn't matter since you have a sub, you won't be able to hear anything past that with your subs on, but sometimes the clarity of the speaker is better when the speaker has the capability to be in between the 40-60 hertz range since it's not trying to play a frequency it can't play.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34376_Alpine-SPS-610.html

This is the Kicker CS654. They replaced the KS series when they came out last year, but I believe it will slot below the new KS series coming out this year. The frequency range on this speaker is 40-20K so it will sound more "full" but these sound muffled compared to the Infinity Kappa's.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_64184_Kicker-40CS654.html

If you're powering the cabin speakers with the radio, frequency range will be very important to you because it will be what makes the difference in volume perception. I really recommend a 4 channel though. It will really make a difference in your car's sound stage.

the descriptions on there seem vague. I don't trust a word they say and what is the tweeter crossed over at?

It seems all websites do that though, I know Best Buy is the worst for vague descriptions. I only posted those links so he would get an idea. As always, google is your friend when it comes to finding out those details, but I don't think the manufacturers provide those stats considering that neither Alpine's or Kicker's websites talk much about those kind of things. The watts are true though, they are CEA compliant as well.