URGENT HELP lumina l36 random shut down

Firen81

So on the side of the road, got it going for 2 seconds, got half a block and she dies. Running for 5 minutes right now, no stalls, but I addressed the issue with new coils, new icm and new ignition relay. Still dies? New lock cylinder a while ago too.

Does not throw any codes

I'm suspecting a failing fuel pump. My '98 did something very similar, left my wife dead in the water on the road, she tried restarting but it wouldn't stay running. Called AAA and had it towed home, I had a look at it that evening, it fired right up and ran for a couple of minutes but then died for good. Pump wasn't even running anymore, and no sign of fuel pressure at the rail when I pushed the schrader valve in. If you turn the key to 'run', do you hear the pump priming/running for a few seconds? Any sign of pressure at the fuel rail?

Crank Shaft Position sensor? but not sure where that is on a 3800. I am sure someone will chime in.

It's behind the harmonic balancer (which has to be pulled) in order to get at and/or replace it.

Check the water pump for leaks, too. I had one a number of years ago that failed due to coolant leaking onto it, and it found itself inside the sensor through a small crack in the potting on the backside of the sensor.

Hey, so it looks like it should be an issue any more. we recently had some ice here recently and the car slid into the back of a Nissan. My local provincial insurance is offering me a decent amount of money for my 300k km ltz, and tomorrow I'm going to see a 2006 Impala SS. This last bit is just the icing on the cake.

RIP lumi.

Hey, so it looks like it should be an issue any more. we recently had some ice here recently and the car slid into the back of a Nissan. My local provincial insurance is offering me a decent amount of money for my 300k km ltz, and tomorrow I'm going to see a 2006 Impala SS. This last bit is just the icing on the cake.

RIP lumi.

Be extremely wary of the SS as they like to eat transmissions for breakfast. If they cannot provide proof that the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced with new, make sure the fluid is not cooked, do some pretty stout 2nd-1st gear runs, while looking/feeling for any signs of clunking, hard shifts, or slipping etc. Hell, you're best having a transmission shop have a look at it for you. Nearly all of these things have transmission issues at 60-80k miles.

I've been doing a lot of research on the cars, and as long as someone drives them with respect, it should be okay. Besides, I know the owner of a trans shop out here and he's going to do some upgrades to it over the next while . It's a shame that my lumina is finally at the end of the line, but with a new baby I need something a little safer ;)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I'm suspecting a failing fuel pump. My '98 did something very similar, left my wife dead in the water on the road, she tried restarting but it wouldn't stay running. Called AAA and had it towed home, I had a look at it that evening, it fired right up and ran for a couple of minutes but then died for good. Pump wasn't even running anymore, and no sign of fuel pressure at the rail when I pushed the schrader valve in. If you turn the key to 'run', do you hear the pump priming/running for a few seconds? Any sign of pressure at the fuel rail?

Sounds like my parent's 3.1. Just swapped the fuel filter, underhood relay, then pump and it showed 8-10 PSI of fuel pressure running directly from 12V, 0 PSI using ignition.

Am thinking it's a possibility the new pump didn't come with the triangular shaped "bumper" between it and the fuel modulator, so am dropping the tank as I speak.

Disconnected the fuel filter holder and let the filter hang vertically while I grabbed a tool. When I crawled back under the car, it was leaking a stream of gas from directly in front of the pump, where plastic line meets metal. The two lines won't pull apart, but will rotate freely from each other. Is this normal??