A couple quick questions...

spiderw31

I was browsing Crutchfield today, and that brought up a couple questions.

First, the door speakers are listed as being 4x6; is that true? Second, all Alpine head units are shown as not fitting. That can't really be correct can it? From the product pictures, I don't see anything that would prevent installation.

The car in question is in my sig.

So far, every Grand Prix I've worked on has had 4X6's in the door except for my 1990 STE.

Generally if there is any modding to the body of the car that has to be done (meaning can't be done simply with a standard install kit)

then they consider it as non-fitting. It could be just a little too long, or the plug might interfere on the back. Crutchfield also says that

there is only 2 2-din radio's that will fit in my Cutlass Supreme because there is a minor issue with the way the dash bezel curves are

done (they slightly cover the corners of the screen, or might cover one of the buttons.

If you want the Alpine one in there bad enough, then get one and make it fit. Crutchfield's "outfit my vehicle" guide is more for idiots that

don't know the difference between Honda and Acura, Toyota and Lexus, or Nissan and Infinity. Pick one that looks like or works the way

you want it too, make sure the dimensions are not too far off (like trying to fit a 2 DIN in a 1 or 1.5 DIN hole) and then make it work.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking regarding the fitment of Alpine head units, and I've never been afraid to trim a little here and there to get a fit. I am a bit surprised about the door pods though, as I really would have expected them to be a round speaker.

Thanks!

I've put 6.5 rounds in a Grand Prix before. They can be made to fit. The STE got 6.5 rounds stock (at least MY STE had them stock) but they were lower in the door, more like in my 1997 Cutlass Supreme. So far, all of the Grand Prix's I've worked on, both coupes and sedans, that had door speakers at all had the 4X6's. I know I've worked on several that didn't have door speakers at all. They had 4 in rounds in the dash, and 6 X 9's in the rear. In the ones that got door speakers, the 4 in rounds in the dash were usually replaced with Tweeters. The W-bodies with the BASS BOOST were just dual-coil real speakers, and the Grand Prix's with the audio switch in the door just turned on and off the door speakers. My STE had the bass boost, but it was for the dual coil rear speakers.