Round 2 (hell, its really more like round 9 for me at this point)

Taylor

Ended up with another Gen 1 (not complaining). After my asshole roommate blew up the engine in my Mark VIII a friend gave me this...

1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe.

hope1_zps9d8ff089.jpg

hope2_zps889e56b1.jpg

hope4_zps2c0f1eee.jpg

hope3_zps27f1a334.jpg

hope5_zps7f366092.jpg

Clearcoat is gone on the hood and tops of the fenders and front bumper. The passenger side body kit needs to be repainted as well. There is also minor damage to the passenger side from when the previous owners hit a deer.

Not going to go crazy with the mods on this one until I get the title (should be in another 2 weeks).

I do have a list of planned mods (mostly stuff I had done to my previous cutlass's... HUD, ATC, cleaning it up, ETC).

Edited by Taylor

Thanks. Nice to be back in a W, although I still miss my Mark VIII a LOT. It was a damn good car.

As for letting him borrow my car, it was either he use it or he didn't work, and we needed the money more at the time.

It needs mostly minor stuff. The only things "major" with it is a problem with the cooling fans (not sure what is wrong with them, they seem to be

working fine for me, but the previous owner said they were not working right. I've not sat down to start diagnosing them yet). It does not have AC at all.

I mean there is no compressor. It just has an AC delete pulley. All of the lines are still there, and the system worked fine until the compressor locked up.

Only other real issue I can think of is the drives door window pops out of track every time you try to roll it down. I've looked at it but not sure why its doing that.

I will look into that more next week when I'm off work for 9 days.

Never owned any Gen 2's. I was going to look into a Gen 2 before I got this but I would not have kept the buick boat anchor engine in it (no, in all these years, my opinion of the 3800 has not changed).

Once I totaled the 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, I started driving my 1998 Mark VIII. I REALLY loved that car but blew the headgaskets between cylinders 7 and 8 (A know 4.6 DOHC issue).

After we blew up the Mark VIII, I fixed my 1992 Grand Prix, but when the 3.4 DOHC (another trash engine) blew BOTH head gaskets, I went carless for a while. I scarpped the Grand Prix, and drove my

roommates Mustang for a while. At that point, I was considering a 2000~ish Grand Prix coupe but a friend gave me their 1997 Cutlass Supreme instead. Just as well, I would have never been happy

with a 3800 powered car and it would have driven me crazy until I built up the funds to do an engine swap and get rid of that fire hazard of a boat anchor.

Yes, I'm still opinionated, and yes I'm still a little bit of an asshole. -shrugs-

Lol I thought I heard from Jake/Jay that rumor, but maybe it was just that you were potentially considering one as a means of transportation ha.

It's okay, I still like you even with your 3800 hatred. You gave me a ride from the Houston airport to Jake's years ago!

ahh, I remember that. Also the car has 139K on it.

The previous owners daughter had blown the engine up in it so it has a replacement engine in it.

Every once in a while it does a weird hard start and surges for about 15 seconds before smoothing out.

I think it finally did the cooling fan issue for me... I was going to town, and the engine bogged down some.....

it acted like it was going to stall then smoothed out. All I can think of is the cooling fan tried to

kick on and it put a bad load on the engine.

I'll look into it in more detail next week.

I finally got in my service manuals for it, so I'm good on most things. Was playing around with an Aztec HUD,

but the Class 2 data from the Aztec is different than the Class 2 data from the Cutlass. I'm thinking

that its because the Aztec probably gets its data from a BCM instead of the PCM. Would have been

a fun thing but I'll just use the 2000 GP HUD instead. Hell, I probably will not do the HUD swap until

summer since I don't think I will have the title for at least another 2 weeks.

DSC00011_zps9ff60424.jpg

I could still put it in... At least the turn signals would work. ROFL. And it would LOOK cool.... but

I want it functional. The only issue with the 2000 Grand Prix HUD is that I will not be able to get

the Radio readout to work. The radio info data from the Oldsmobile Radio is not compatible (tried

that in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme).

I don't think I will do the BOSE swap in this one like I did on my 1995. The BOSE was awesome

but I think this time I will just leave it stock (although I will swap out the radio for one with a CD

player). For now, I'm just glad to have a car that didn't need a complete overhaul, rebuild, or

engine swap just to be able to use it.

Edited by Taylor

Mebbe swap in gp radio too? I have an 02 gp hud in my 97 monte :)

ahh, I remember that. Also the car has 139K on it.

The previous owners daughter had blown the engine up in it so it has a replacement engine in it.

Every once in a while it does a weird hard start and surges for about 15 seconds before smoothing out.

I think it finally did the cooling fan issue for me... I was going to town, and the engine bogged down some.....

it acted like it was going to stall then smoothed out. All I can think of is the cooling fan tried to

kick on and it put a bad load on the engine.

I'll look into it in more detail next week.

I finally got in my service manuals for it, so I'm good on most things. Was playing around with an Aztec HUD,

but the Class 2 data from the Aztec is different than the Class 2 data from the Cutlass. I'm thinking

that its because the Aztec probably gets its data from a BCM instead of the PCM. Would have been

a fun thing but I'll just use the 2000 GP HUD instead. Hell, I probably will not do the HUD swap until

summer since I don't think I will have the title for at least another 2 weeks.

DSC00011_zps9ff60424.jpg

I could still put it in... At least the turn signals would work. ROFL. And it would LOOK cool.... but

I want it functional. The only issue with the 2000 Grand Prix HUD is that I will not be able to get

the Radio readout to work. The radio info data from the Oldsmobile Radio is not compatible (tried

that in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme).

I don't think I will do the BOSE swap in this one like I did on my 1995. The BOSE was awesome

but I think this time I will just leave it stock (although I will swap out the radio for one with a CD

player). For now, I'm just glad to have a car that didn't need a complete overhaul, rebuild, or

engine swap just to be able to use it.

I prefer to use the stock 2-din Oldsmobile Radio in my Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. And yes, I got the initial wiring diagrams from Jay. If you can get me more diagrams, send me a PM. ROFL, I need several more from an Aztec to check some ideas of mine.

As for the radio, I have an idea about something I want to do eventually to it, so I'll probably end up with an aftermarket unit in the end, so the HUD radio display idea will be null.

Well hi there Jay....

Went to the yard yesterday... Was thinking of you...

Couldn't find me a decent auto dim mirror, but managed to get a decent AC compressor.

it probably will not work, but at least the bearings are good in it. That AC Bypass pulley, the

bearings are going out in it and I'm afraid its going to snap the belt.

Going to try to fix my drivers window, mod my ac controls, mod my head light switch,

install the strut bar from the cutlass convertible, and install the AC compressor (not going

to try to charge the system since its been opened up for too long. I just want the compressor

in so I don't have to hear that awful squeeling anymore).

I might also work on that custom shifter idea I was telling you about. They had ONE car in the

yard in pasadena that had the parts I was missing... was a pain in the ass to get them all out, but

ME:1 JUNK CAR:0

If I'm able to do it with any kind of success, I'll post up some pics just for you Jay.

You want an auto-dim mirror?

just auto-dim?

auto-dim with map lights?

auto-dim with compass/temp single display?

auto-dim with compass/temp dual display?

auto-dim with compass/temp dual display with pass. airbag light?

auto-dim with homelink?

I have no need for homelink. I would not mind one that had compass and temp seeing that this car does not have the digital climate control yet.

Never seen the dual display one but that would probably interest me most.

Would also need an outside air temp sensor.

I'm planning on installing an overhead console that has lights, but missing some of the parts too it. Map lights are always nice. Remember how many I had in my other cutlass? 2 in the mirror, 3 in the overhead console, 3 in the dome, 2 in the rear reading, 2 in the rear side convertible... ROFL Really can't light up the interior TOO much.

i remember you mentioning something about that once. I like the idea of that as well.

Back is killing me right now. I did get some things done though.

AC controls are modded.

Headlight switch is modded.

Test fitted the custom shifter (need to get the dremel out)

test fit a custom shifter knob (for the stock shifter)

tinkered with the rear reading lights (on both of them, the buttons had broken internally

so that the rear lights would not work at all. I just cut and spliced the lights to come on with

the doors and the buttons are now non-functional).

Removed the wiring from when I was playing with the Aztec HUD

Installed the Convertible strut tower bar

replaced the AC compressor.

I was nor originally going to do the AC compressor but while doing the strut tower bar

figured, why not? The car had a bypass pulley from when the compressor had gone out

but the bearings were going out in it so it was making this horrendous squeeling noise.

Put in a junkyard compressor and now its a LOT quieter (I can now hear the lifter tick instead).

Still need to try to fix the drivers window, and then see if I can save the paint at all. Will

probably start doing all of that tomorrow or the next day.

The new CD player was missing one, and the one that was on there was already broken.

I got in the new knobs yesterday. Looks much better now.

I think I'm going to have to redo the throttle body. I think I made the spring TOO firm.

Currently its actually stiffer than the 2.8/3.1 throttle. It drives really good, but you actually

have to use FORCE to push the pedal now.

• 2 months later...

Slut bunch of parts coming in.

From a recent junkyard trip I got:

Large port upper and lower intake manifold

Coolant bypass pipe to delete throttle body lines

00 Grand Prix center console

00 Grand Prix DIC (just to tinker with mostly)

00 Grand Prix overhead console

Auto-dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp

And from ebay I got:

gasket set

180* thermostat

low coolant level sensor

Corner light

HID's (yeah, I know its just the cheap crappy ones, but its something to play with)

Door puddle lights (okay, so it has the newer Olds emblem, but mehh, it something to play with)

Heater pipe for coolant bypass

Still need to get from the parts store:

RTV

Camaro distributor gasket

Fuel Injector O-rings

Double Sided tape

Can't wait til this weekend when I can get started on some of this stuff.

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly: