Possibly limp mode? help

zelfr

**Edited!!!

I have a 1998 Grand Prix GT 3.8 V6. With 102.000 miles on it.

When I first start my car I can only shift and lock into P,R, and 1st gear. I can't use D, 3, or 2nd gear until I get on the road with 1st and slowly shift into 2nd, 3rd then drive.

Fluid is full and a little dirty. I'm 20,000 past due for a change (Past owners had originally told me they didn't change fluid ever. Found out that was incorrect about a week ago.)

Edited by zelfr
Change of information

I can only shift and lock into P,R, and 1st gear. I can't use D, 3, or 2nd gear until I get on the road with 1st and slowly shift into 2nd, 3rd then drive.

You can't SHIFT into D, 3, or 2? Or you can shift into those ranges, but the trans doesn't engage, so you have a false-neutral?

That tranny in pissed off, a fluid change probably isn't going to offer much to it. It should engage in D because of the mechanical shifter and if it had a bad V.S.S or Position switch the PCM may command it to shift improperly or not at all but it should shift hydraulically much later than it should. It's probably a weak pump.

You can't SHIFT into D, 3, or 2? Or you can shift into those ranges, but the trans doesn't engage, so you have a false-neutral?

I basically have a false neutral, the trans will not lock into them, it's basically staying in neutral and passing up D, 3rd and 2nd. I can get into them after driving on the road in 1st gear and slowing shifting into it. If i apply to much gas it slips and won't lock in, but as long as I do it slow I can shift into it. It's almost like driving a manual right now without having to use a clutch. Once I get it back into drive by working through my gears 1,2 and 3rd it seems fine until i stop then drive stops working again, and I have to repeat the process.