Rear Deck project

rich_e777

Doing some electrical investigating and in the course of this I had to remove a lot of the trim from the back seat area. Took both parts of the rear seat and rear deck out as well and discovered the deck was in horrible shape. Years ago a branch took out the rear window and the fiberglass? particle board?(probably) took most of the hit. At the time it wasn't my car yet and the previous owner didn't get it fixed right, they or the shop hired to do it only taped the deck back together, plus the fabric on it is so bad you can touch it and it turned to dust.

So the plan is to tear off all the old, somehow reinforce the deck with???? (still determining), thinking about rubber in a can, then a layer of bondo for paint, then black paint(will incorporate some sort of something to add to detail, Oldsmobile or W-body design, also painting the grey plastic trim to match exterior color. So far I have the deck stripped of fabric, broke the two speaker mounting surrounds in the process so will have to fab up something, and started to painting process. Still had some glass slivers that were hiding in the fabric, found those with my thumb, then had to find them again to get them out. Also found a really good pair of needle nose pliers, $3.25 in quarter(beer money:D) and another .38 bullet that must have come from the revolver I found inside the door trim years ago.

Teaser pic

Yeah, .38 snub nose revolver was sort of stuck between the seatbelt contraption and the metal of the door so it didn't move around or rattle. I dropped a screwdriver bit down into the seatbelt thing and took the trim off to get at it. When I pulled the big piece of CS door trim off a few bullets fell out and got me looking closer at it. Had I never dropped the bit I would have never found it. I think I traded it to someone for something but I cannot recall what.

I glued some gutter mesh to the inside of the speakers that I was going to paint gold but had already glued them in, wouldn`t have really been able to tell anyways.

That is the last place I would expect to find a gun!

I am curious to see how this project turns out.

Clear-coating trim in progress. The deck will have to wait a few days for funds and time, a bit of an opening in the weather has the crew scrambling around to get some stuff caught up and jobs lined up for the future. Thinking that the thin piece of metal trim you see at the base of doors can be used to "sandwich" the pieces of deck into something somewhat rigid enough to be acceptable.

Also just remembered you can buy these rubber mats at hardware stores, I might get one of those, cut to fit and contour and glue it to the bottom side then bondo the top.

I HAVE MENDED SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

Dupli-color Aqua Metallic, same/similar color on the car. I didn't set the camera right to take pics in the sun. Those pieces turned out awesome, no runs, no debris in the paint. Also thinking about copying the rear deck design onto the headliner and dash. Overall idea is to eliminate the slate grey color from the interior and have it mostly black(hoping black convertible trim pieces still exist out there when the time comes) with the aqua-metallic being the secondary color with some golden accents in certain places to break it up.

Lots of work this week so it might be awhile before I have some time to work on it some. I did take it out last night after I fixed the burned out bulbs in the 3rd brake light and when that thing lit up without the trim around it I instantly thought about a scene from "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" when the UFO sneaks up behind the guy in the truck.:lol:

Progress!

Found some useful material on the ground and began a search for heavy duty stapler to staple said scrap to the remaining deck. Couldn`t find a stapler anywhere that would work, needed on that resembled a pair of pliers. So I stopped at a CO-OP outside the city and found...Pig Rings

Yes these are the things that you see between the nostrils of pigs and boars and the tool that is needed to umm install them. Worked pretty good as pressing them in actually pulled the material outways which is a plus i'm assuming in the upholstery profession, this is my first attempt at anything like this and the results look very promising. Tomorrow I will add the speaker cutouts and open up the seat belt holes, pig ring those holes down and let it sit in the sun for awhile.

If it looks to weird or bad to me I have found a source for replacement rear decks for about $30 which is about what I paid for everything to do what I did above.

So will the pig rings be hidden under trim?

Is that leather or vynil?

Everything will be hidden, absolutely. Its either rubber or vinyl or something similar, I found it on the floor in the flooring department at a hardware store, literally scrap. Gave $4, the rings at the base of the rear window will be hidden under a clip I'm going to rig up to hold one of those sun reflectors in.

You could try lookin for another one at the yard and then rewrapping it with vinyl.

While you're at it, when you black out your interior, you should just wrap the trim in vinyl and look for the stuff you can't wrap. That's what I'm doing with my Cutlass. I'm swapping out the charcoal navy blue and putting in real black quality vinyl.

Second Attempt.

Found a gold and tan `97 coupe earlier and grabbed the deck. Its about twice as thick as the `94 and in way better condition. Turning it slate grey now just waiting for it to dry.

The seat belt guides and speakers surrounds where still held on by tiny little self threading washers that were put on upside down so getting a socket on them is impossible. Only way I could get them off was very slowly being able to get the edge with needle nose pliers and millimeter by micrometer they turned until I could get them by hand. A good 3 1/2 hour job that is but its done.

Vinyl wrap sounds better than waiting for a salvage interior anyways, will have to talk to a few shops around here and come up with a price list.

Done!

I'm going to be fixing the two trim pieces along the inside rear windows, the white push fasteners are only good for a few removals and I left the two screws for the 3rd brake light upstairs when I had the camera so those are in and its straightened out.

Also going to be putting some sort of special graphic between the speakers just for show, looking for something to tribute the Doraville assembly plant in Atlanta where this came from or get a F-85 hood ornament and fix it to a Olds rocket logo plaque.

The color is a dead on match to the rest of the interior, the sun was right on it so it looks a little brighter.

Done!

I'm going to be fixing the two trim pieces along the inside rear windows, the white push fasteners are only good for a few removals and I left the two screws for the 3rd brake light upstairs when I had the camera so those are in and its straightened out.

Also going to be putting some sort of special graphic between the speakers just for show, looking for something to tribute the Doraville assembly plant in Atlanta where this came from or get a F-85 hood ornament and fix it to a Olds rocket logo plaque.

The color is a dead on match to the rest of the interior, the sun was right on it so it looks a little brighter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15334[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15335[/ATTACH]

That's a nice rear deck!!

Second Attempt.

Found a gold and tan `97 coupe earlier and grabbed the deck. Its about twice as thick as the `94 and in way better condition. Turning it slate grey now just waiting for it to dry.

The seat belt guides and speakers surrounds where still held on by tiny little self threading washers that were put on upside down so getting a socket on them is impossible. Only way I could get them off was very slowly being able to get the edge with needle nose pliers and millimeter by micrometer they turned until I could get them by hand. A good 3 1/2 hour job that is but its done.

Vinyl wrap sounds better than waiting for a salvage interior anyways, will have to talk to a few shops around here and come up with a price list.

You could do it yourself. I did my A pillars by myself on my vert and I'm going to do the side panels next. It's not that hard, your hardest pieces are gonna be the door trim where it has those "stripes" and on your specific car the arm rest area near the window since they have the "stripes too". You can do the rest though, the "b" pillar trim, the "a" pillar trim, etc.

Not sure why the double post:think:

I'd like for it to be a DIY job, once the major repairs are done I'll look into it a little further. Now I'm going to fix up some brackets to hold a sun reflector in the rear window and get one for the front as well.