News article

ConvertibleRoy

• 3 months later...

Misinformed. No 5 speed or Quad 4 convertibles made except the actual Indy Pace Cars and they weren't convertibles, they would be roadsters as they had no top or windows.

Edited by ManicMechanic

Hemmings had a similar 'future collectibles' piece on the cutlass verts a while back (couldn't find it). I think people just don't have the 'disposable income' to buy old cars as much now as in the past. Maybe some day...

Thanks for posting though, always cool to see our cars in print.

it’s essentially a well-built V-6 F-body Camaro or Firebird with all-weather capability.

that is the worst description of a 3000GT i've ever seen.

that is the worst description of a 3000GT i've ever seen.

x2. You're gonna call one of the most notoriously problematic cars of the era "well built?"

i wasn't necessarily pointing at that part of it, but yes, they're quite the wallet destroyers from what i'm told.

but comparing it to a V6 F-body? a gimped for the purposes of selling a V8 car?

WAY different class of car, i want to say the 3000 is considered a GT, comparing it to something like a supra or skyline would have been much more accurate.

The Cutlass Supreme did have the Quad 4 and the Getrag... This is true. The convertible NEVER came with a Quad 4 and it NEVER came with a manual. By the time they were doing the convertible, the Quad 4 was replaced by the LQ1. AFAIK, the engine was only offered in 1990 and 1991, and from what I hear the cars were pretty basic.

IDK when the 5 speed disappeared, but I do know that the vert never had it. The vert is predominantly LQ1 too. It's rare to see a 3.1 vert.

i wasn't necessarily pointing at that part of it, but yes, they're quite the wallet destroyers from what i'm told.

but comparing it to a V6 F-body? a gimped for the purposes of selling a V8 car?

WAY different class of car, i want to say the 3000 is considered a GT, comparing it to something like a supra or skyline would have been much more accurate.

Even then, it's the same thing. The 3000 is not a GT NOR a GTO (Mitsubishi called it a GTO in the Japanese market). The 3000GT compares more to a Ford Probe. Sure the 3000 had AWD at one point, but it was still FWD based and offered as FWD only. The only thing 4th Gen F body about the 3000 is the 2+2 seating. The back seat is a joke, and it doesn't have side windows. You only get 4 pieces of glass on a 3000GT. I think that car was supposed to be an NSX for the poor man, but it proved to be too poor to be used for anything else than a toy.

The Cutlass Supreme did have the Quad 4 and the Getrag... This is true. The convertible NEVER came with a Quad 4 and it NEVER came with a manual. By the time they were doing the convertible, the Quad 4 was replaced by the LQ1. AFAIK, the engine was only offered in 1990 and 1991, and from what I hear the cars were pretty basic.

IDK when the 5 speed disappeared, but I do know that the vert never had it. The vert is predominantly LQ1 too. It's rare to see a 3.1 vert.

The HO Q4 was only available in 1990 in the Supreme. A couple of 5 speeds were made in 1993 but that was the last year.

I see way more 3.1 verts than 3.4. Likely because the 3.1 and 3100 was offered through out the vert run, the 3.4 came out in 1993.

The HO Q4 was only available in 1990 in the Supreme. A couple of 5 speeds were made in 1993 but that was the last year.

I see way more 3.1 verts than 3.4. Likely because the 3.1 and 3100 was offered through out the vert run, the 3.4 came out in 1993.

I've seen some 91's online with the Q4, but IDK what version it was. I assume it was just the normal one but I never really stopped to think if it was a normal or H.O. Quad 4.

I thought the 3.4 came out in 1992.

• 4 weeks later...