3.8 cam questions

l67ss

If its a legit requirement im gonna skip the cam swap. Seems counter productive. Example: in 1991 a 4.3 s-10 made 160 hp. In 1993 the same truck with same heads pistons intake exhaust and tune made 190 hp. The variable? They installed a balance shaft. So if you remove it on a 3.8 your gonna lose 30 hp then make at least 60 hp with a cam that starts at $800? Not to mention the reduced service life due to out of balance condition. Now if you can keep the balance shaft the $800 60 hp bump starts to loook a lil better :)

You can. Its a little more work. My buddy did that to his old GTP, didnt really cause any excessive vibrations. I know you have to block off the oilers for it. But there's no issue with running a cam and keeping the balance shaft.

balance shafts actually rob power to drive. spinning that weight around isn't free smoothness. 30HP? far more than a balance shaft is going to effect. maybe 5-10HP at the absolute most at ~200ish total HP output.

If its a legit requirement im gonna skip the cam swap. Seems counter productive. Example: in 1991 a 4.3 s-10 made 160 hp. In 1993 the same truck with same heads pistons intake exhaust and tune made 190 hp. The variable? They installed a balance shaft. So if you remove it on a 3.8 your gonna lose 30 hp then make at least 60 hp with a cam that starts at $800? Not to mention the reduced service life due to out of balance condition. Now if you can keep the balance shaft the $800 60 hp bump starts to loook a lil better :)

The 4.3 had lof s of compression changes through the years but the motor yer using as an example has a more aggressive camshaft yet has .2 lower compression than the earlier lb4...they changed the cam even more with cpi

For a double roller as No1kicker said.

I'm running an Intense stage 1 in mine. I think it's a good choice if you're

on a budget and want to make some decent power. Still running the balance

shaft. Buddy of mine I did the L67 swap for in a 96 Cutlass is running rockers

and an intercooler. Cost for his was about three times what mine was and my

car is quicker.

like said the balance shaft delete is only if you are using a double roller chain set. also most don't remove the shaft, they just remove the drive gear for it. if you remove the shaft you will need to install a freeze plug to block the oil passages.

the double roller chain is only needed if you are going with heavy springs and bigger cams. if you go with a VS cam a stock chain will be fine with some L76 springs and possibly with the 105's i don't recommend the 90 yellow springs as these have a steeper ramp rate and can hurt the dampener for the chain. the L76 and 105" springs have a ramp rate similar to stock.

for my top swap i'm considering either the VS or a GT2 cam

install the cam! i did. on a stock timing chain it worked fine. Then the stock chain broke, so i replaced it with a double roller chain and got rid of the balance shaft gear, AND LEFT THE BALANCE SHAFT IN THE MOTOR. it runs just fine and i hardly noticed a difference in vibration and its only at idle. it just sits there and gets oiled and does not move much. it doesnt hurt a thing. IIRC the first gen 3800s did not have a balance shaft at all. you will not loose any power. you gain a lot of power from a cam, ask my broken 4t65e-hd :lol:

ZZP and intense do make N/A specific cams, you can always run one of those. The N/A cams are designed to work with hte higher compression of the N/A motors. from a certain "club" the following numbers are posted

Intense's Cam Motion Stage 3 N/A Cam Grind:

1. Wes Blair w/ 247WHP (IS3 heads) [sTD]

ZZP's Comp Cam GT2 Cam Grind:

1. ricks gpgt w/ 205WHP (HVII3, PEM's) [sTD]

2. gpGT99angel w/ 199WHP (HV3, L67 TB, ZZP Powerlog)

Intense's Cam Motion Stage 1x Grind:

1. Keifer w/ 191WHP (Headers, ZZP HV3) [sTD]

ZZP's Comp Cam GT1 Cam Grind:

1. Buck531 w/ 233WHP (custom heads)

2: zipper w/ 222WHP (ZZP S2.5 heads)

3. Anthony Abraham w/ 209.3

4. Buck531 w/ 199WHP

Grand Prix Store's Comp Cam GT Cam Grind:

1. malfnet1 w/ 183WHP (stock heads, stock exhaust)

Already talked myself outta camming it. Ill go a dif rout-intercooled m112 with 1.9 rockers :)

Why not save a little more and do the cam as well as the intercooler, M112, and 1.9 rockers. Between all 4 things, you can gain some very nice power. If you have the heads opened up, you will be thoroughly impressed (probably looking $750 between porting and shaving the heads a few thousandths to flaten the heads). Of course, then upgrade to head studs for safety measures.

I do my own porting :)

Why not save a little more and do the cam as well as the intercooler, M112, and 1.9 rockers. Between all 4 things, you can gain some very nice power. If you have the heads opened up, you will be thoroughly impressed (probably looking $750 between porting and shaving the heads a few thousandths to flaten the heads). Of course, then upgrade to head studs for safety measures.