Coolant Overflow Bottle. Yes? No?

GXPeon

Hi guys.

On my 98 Regal GS, I installed a CAI. Well I helped to install it.

IMG_20140113_150354_zps77a09c3e.jpg

Doing so required me to remove my Coolant bottle. I read that for the 1999 model year, the bottle was relocated to the passenger side strut brace. I considered purchasing a 99 Coolant bottle but unfortunately that is where the ABS unit is mounted on my 98.

I also got a different type of rad cap that was required when installing the CAI. I know there's 2 main types of caps. It's not the OEM type but that 'other' one. I can't remember the name but it has a spring in its assembly.

Anyway, as it stands, I have no recovery bottle. Just a hose that leads to the ground. I bought the CAI from another GS owner who's car had been KO'd and was parting it out. He knows these cars very very well and is a certified mechanic. He told me that with the cap and no bottle, he didn't lose any coolant in the 2 months he had it installed (new part) but recommended to check the levels every 3 months (I don't drive the car much anyway).

My question is: Would you run a bottle anyway? What are my options? Neither a 98 or 99 + bottle will work. I would basically need a smaller bottle to mount somewhere out of the way but wonder if I need one at all? Where to buy one? Or do you think the cooling system will be ok without the bottle?

Thanks

I'm sure it would make more sense to have SOMETHING there. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to install a smaller one somewhere, for example behind the CAI. Looks like just enough space for an early 2.8/3.1 tank.

don't run without the overflow..... the more correct term for it is reservoir, since it isn't used only for overflow purposes.

you may never lose coolant if the pressure in the radiator never exceeds the cap rating, but if/when you do, coolant will be pushed out of the radiator while hot and once the coolant starts dropping temp, a vacuum will be created within the cooling system, normally, this is used to draw coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator. with no reservoir, you'll either be stuck with a vacuum in the radiator or it will suck in a lot of air.

coolant under a vacuum is FAR more likely to boil than coolant under pressure(or just at barometric pressure). if that happens, you'll start producing air bubbles inside the engine and it is going to ruin your day.

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I will put one in.

I was told a 99 + GP bottle wouldn't work either. Might look into the 3.1. Any other GM reservoir that may work?

Just for my edification, where would be a good place online to purchase one? If I have time, I plan to visit a junkyard. Big IF, though.

Take out that crappy "warm air intake", and put the stock system right back on. Less noise, no drop in performance, and you can re-install the coolant bottle.

Dump the WAI on eBay and recover some of your money.

^

^

^

You wont pull any kind of cold air out of that unless its cold out side, then what is the point?. The stock system with a drop in high flow Spectre or K&N will do more than that setup and even then its not going to amount to anything more than a RAM AIR system from a Pontiac did. 5 maybe 6 total gained HP and 4 of those will probably be left over enthusiasm from installing "performance parts". A supercharged Regal is cool enough.

^

^

^

You wont pull any kind of cold air out of that unless its cold out side, then what is the point?. The stock system with a drop in high flow Spectre or K&N will do more than that setup and even then its not going to amount to anything more than a RAM AIR system from a Pontiac did. 5 maybe 6 total gained HP and 4 of those will probably be left over enthusiasm from installing "performance parts". A supercharged Regal is cool enough.

Actually 4 of those HP come from the acoustic difference I hear when I open the car up. I also installed a full exhaust with Downpipe, Ubend delete, Magnaflow muffler, 2.5" tubing and dual stock looking tips. On my first few drives, the car opened up nicely over stock. I'm just making a cool car even 'cooler'.

What exactly is the issue with what I did (barring the removal of the bottle) ??

My only question was about the reservoir. Was curious if any other GM reservoir can work so I can grab one, install it and go. I'm pretty tight with my GM parts counter guy hence the want for a GM reservoir.

"What exactly is the issue with what I did (barring the removal of the bottle) ??"

The air you're pulling into the engine now is warmer than the air you got via the stock setup, which was pulled from in front of the radiator. Now, you're pulling in warm underhood air.

It LOOKS cool, but temperaturewise, it's actually warmer.

As far as a bottle...the bottle for my HHR is small, but deep. Not sure, but that might fit in the space you have.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

"What exactly is the issue with what I did (barring the removal of the bottle) ??"

The air you're pulling into the engine now is warmer than the air you got via the stock setup, which was pulled from in front of the radiator. Now, you're pulling in warm underhood air.

It LOOKS cool, but temperaturewise, it's actually warmer.

As far as a bottle...the bottle for my HHR is small, but deep. Not sure, but that might fit in the space you have.

This is very valid. You should consider at least running the tubing all the way in the fender. It would open up space for the coolant reservoir and draw in cold air. The only drawback is that it can also get wet if you drive through a puddle.

This is very valid. You should consider at least running the tubing all the way in the fender. It would open up space for the coolant reservoir and draw in cold air. The only drawback is that it can also get wet if you drive through a puddle.

And that's why I didn't do it. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains 8 months of the year. Puddles everywhere. Not really worth it IMO. Had to compromise somewhere.

So odd seeing that motor without a STB over top....98 didnt get it??

Apparently not. I do have front and rear STBs to go on next as well as front and rear stabilizer bars.

What's the fun of keeping a car stock anyway? I have lots of plans ahead but first I have to replace the crappy manifold gaskets. They're not leaking yet but they will soon enough.

We have a 99 GSE, it has STB's. That engine bay seriously looks naked without it!

If you're gonna do an intake mod that DOES SOMETHING, drop the pulley size and throw on the supporting mods. ;)

I can't help but back most of the other people up there, ditch the warm air intake. This motor LOVES cold air. A spirited drive on a cold day will show a noticeable difference.

don't run without the overflow..... the more correct term for it is reservoir, since it isn't used only for overflow purposes.

you may never lose coolant if the pressure in the radiator never exceeds the cap rating, but if/when you do, coolant will be pushed out of the radiator while hot and once the coolant starts dropping temp, a vacuum will be created within the cooling system, normally, this is used to draw coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator. with no reservoir, you'll either be stuck with a vacuum in the radiator or it will suck in a lot of air.

coolant under a vacuum is FAR more likely to boil than coolant under pressure(or just at barometric pressure). if that happens, you'll start producing air bubbles inside the engine and it is going to ruin your day.

This, seriously. My '97 kept overheating and I was having the hardest time figuring out why until I looked at the coolant overflow and there was a hole in the cap right on the nipple, sucking in air. Eventually caused tons of coolant to overflow as air kept displacing it.

We have a 99 GSE, it has STB's. That engine bay seriously looks naked without it!

If you're gonna do an intake mod that DOES SOMETHING, drop the pulley size and throw on the supporting mods. ;)

I can't help but back most of the other people up there, ditch the warm air intake. This motor LOVES cold air. A spirited drive on a cold day will show a noticeable difference.

Aren't you supposed to drop the pulley AFTER the supporting mods so your motor doesn't orgasm from all that KR?

I hate my coolant bottle, but I hate cavitating my cooling system more. The coolant bottle is the lesser evil.

Oh believe me, I'm scouring for a replacement bottle that will fit. Hoping I can get something out a Cobalt / HHR or something along those lines. My coolant needs a flush anyway so it'll all come together.

I can't believe I never noticed about the ABS unit blocking the ability to use the 99+ GP overflows.

You'll be fine with that intake. IMO it's sealed enough with the hood shut...and with forward motion you'll get a decent amount of cool air. It's not like it's going to be constantly sucking in all of it's volume of air from the engine bay anyway...

The ABS unit is 98 only, I have the same problem on my car, I just left the original coolant reservoir, it looks chappy but I've tried to run the 99+ reservoir and it's not even close to fitting

...Even a plastic peanut butter jar, with a hole for the hose to pass through, and a small hole for venting would work, at least temporarily...or perhaps a ketchup bottle?

The ABS unit is 98 only, I have the same problem on my car, I just left the original coolant reservoir, it looks chappy but I've tried to run the 99+ reservoir and it's not even close to fitting

You left the stock reservoir installed with a CAI? Are you running a different kit?

The idea of a condiment bottle is interesting, though.

Back decades ago, I used a half gallon milk jug on the Galaxie I used to own...coolant recovery wasn't even an option in '64, and it tended to run hot in the summer. I used that for a good long time, until I found something a little less interesting to replace it with.

You left the stock reservoir installed with a CAI? Are you running a different kit?

The idea of a condiment bottle is interesting, though.

...Even a plastic peanut butter jar, with a hole for the hose to pass through, and a small hole for venting would work, at least temporarily...or perhaps a ketchup bottle?

"It's what cooling systems want, It's got electrolytes"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14952[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14953[/ATTACH]

These guys beat me to it. Being in the offroad world where chopping things, swapping bigger engines, etc many people just use another item for an overflow. There are even some nice looking universal ones on hot rod sites for pretty cheap.