Nas Escobar

Is this scanner worth the money? I don't know much about Tech 1 scanners as I do with Tech 2 but I apparently need one for my 94 which keeps triggering the SES when starting up (Trying to find a bigger picture here) so I might as well take the plunge.

here's one I found today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-scan-tool-tech-1-Vetronix-scanner-with-Mass-storage-cartridge-/171206569660?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27dcb4eebc&vxp=mtr

The other one I've seen and heard of before is the Innova 3140. This one claims to be compatible with both OBD1 and OBD2 (which is a plus since I also have a Camaro and I usually get asked for help with other OBD2 cars), but I'm not sure if it will tell me more than a code for my Cutty or if I can see what the computer does as well. I know the advanced OBD2 scanners will tell you what the computer does and you can even tune them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Craftsman-920899-Scan-Tool-Kit-ODB-1-2-with-SRS-ABS-Innova-3140-/321282665644?pt=US_Measuring_Layout_Tools&hash=item4acdf06cac

Last but not least, this one is my favorite. I like it because it's cheap and they CLAIM I can use tuning software with it (although I probably wouldn't do it, it still would be a nice feature, perhaps to mess around with shift points)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OBD1-Scanner-Cable-Software-USB-to-12-pin-ALDL-direct-GM-OBDI-/111245393571?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item19e6bdfea3&vxp=mtr

The only drawback here is of course that it would only be for my Cutlass and I still have to drive to Advance Auto parts everytime my OBD2 cars throw codes.

Anyways, what are your experiences with scanners and which one would you recommend. I know a lot of people here use the Actron 9300 or something like that with the GM cartridge but I can't seem to find one at a logical price.

All help is appreciated as always.

Looking at the Innova 3140 user's manual, it doesn't look like it supports real-time data for GM OBD-I.

I'm not sure if that Craftsman scanner supports real-time OBD-I data either.

You best bet may be to get a

SNAP ON SCANNER MT2500

SNAP ON SCANNER MTG2500 (same as above has graphing)

Note, I do not know the exact abilities of the MT2500 scanner. Just what I've read in the forums by people that have them.

Do you have an Android phone/tablet? If so, I'd say get a bluetooth ALDL scanner. Then, you could use that for OBD-II also. Although, I don't think the OBD-II bluetooth does airbag, ABS. Or, you could go with the ALDL USB with a laptop.

This looks neat:

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php

ALDL to Bluetooth

Connect to your OBD1 GM vehicle wirelessly

Supports both 160 Baud Pin E and 8192 Pin M protocals

NOTE - Your diagnostic software must be able to receive the data stream as 9600 baud. Instructions are included on how to implement this with TunerPro/TunerPro RT

NOTE - A laptop with bluetooth compatibility is needed to receive the signal.

The module will power from most cars using the ALDL Pin G. For cars without a pin G power source a separate power plug is provided. The module can also be powered via USB power.

This module is compatible with programs such as TunerPro and TunerPro RT.

http://www.tunerpro.net

Use it with your Android device - Works with ALDLdroid!

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sgiroux.aldldroid&hl=en

ALDLdroid sold separately - Check compatibility with your android device before purchasing.

FWIW, I know that a China CLONE Tech-II for ~$600 will work with both of your cars. That's what I have for my '92 Olds and 2000 Olds.

Note, a real Tech-II goes for ~$3K+ new, used ~$1,000+. And, you can not sell a Tech-II clone on ebay.

Pic from my Tech-II clone, diagnosing a leaky booster causing a misfire on my 2000 Olds:

misfire_capture_sm.jpg

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

BTW,

It's ~$500 for the scanner with shipping, they take paypal.

Imho, pay ONLY by paypal! Paypal is very unforgiving to sellers that scam people.

http://www.uobd2.net/wholesale/new-gm-tech2-scanner.html

New GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner Working for GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden Special Price for New Year

Item No. SP23-D

History: 82 sold

4.5 stars, 15 reviews.

In Stock

US$329.00

S&H ~$160

I make no claim to if you'll get anything at all, how well it works, how long it works, if it's legal/proper to use the clone, etc. Other than, mine works, and has worked fine since 2012.

I used mine last month on a MAF code on my 2000 Olds. I was able to see the capture data, real-time data, etc.

I decided to use the code as a reason to do a "MAF upgrade" to the newer style GM MAF. :)

Note, I buy GM/Delco ONLY for any sensor/etc. Rockauto and Amazon are good places.

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

The 3rd link seems to have the Red Devil River software and such, but it's powered by USB and I think that's good enough for me, although the bluetooth function is cool. I assume. So long I can use my laptop for both ODB 1 and ODB2 that's all I really care for. I don't want to get too tied up in this since I know tech scanners aren't something that gets used every single day you know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OBD1-Scanner-Cable-Software-USB-to-12-pin-ALDL-direct-GM-OBDI-/111245393571?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item19e6bdfea3&vxp=mtr

This link has the 12 pin USB one, and it's in my price range, I just don't know if it's reliable since I want to see what my stored codes are and what the computer sees to trigger that code. I also don't know if that's the right one for me. I have a 94 Cutlass Supreme (vert) with the LQ1 and I know the paper clip trick doesn't work on the Cutlass.

I can't find the manual for the auto xray 240. It likely only shows DTC, and does not show real-time data.

If you have a laptop, then get the Red Devil scanner, since it can read DTCs and a lot of real-time data (but, not all , like a real Dealer's scanner like the Tech-II).

If you have an Android phone/tablet, then get the bluetooth on from Red Devil.

Being able to display real-time data is very useful! Especially, when you can take a picture of it (screen capture) and post it to a forum that has a control-theory-geek (like me :)), and/or someone that knows how to tune/diag EFI data.

I have an USB scanner that hooks up to my laptop. I thought it would be "great". What I found was that it was a semi-PITA to read codes, because I had to bring my laptop to my car. That's a semi-PITA without a garage, and having to do it in the winter with snow and ice on the ground, or in the rain. It's not "horrible", but it's not as easy as a stand-alone scanner, or a bluetooth dongle and a 7" tablet.

It was in the teens and snowing when my 2000 Olds threw the MAF code. I got home, got my scanner, found out it was the MAF, thought 1 min about cleaning it, and then decided to get a new MAF (upgraded) since I have a 100% brand new from GM engine in the car (I did in late 2012). I went inside, found the new upgrade MAF part number from a search (suggested by GM as the replacement), ordered from Amazon, had it in two days, put the new MAF on late at night after work - again in the teens, and no worries.

Now, compare what I had to do to getting it fixed at a dealer or local mechanic. No need for a ride back/forth. No time off from work. I saved a lot of time and money. If I wanted to, I could've cleaned the MAF and saved even more money, but spent another ~30-60 mins (trip to store, cleaning) fixing the problem. But, to me, the MAF upgrade, and being worry free for another 10+ years about the MAF, was worth more than the difference in cost. And, imho, cleaning a MAF in the freezing cold had zero appeal to me. :)

Good Luck!

Well then, looks like I'll be getting the Red Devil Scanner... as I said, all I need to do is see my real time data (so I can post it here) and I also want to read all stored codes. Also, if I can somehow tune the engine to be more fuel economic, I'd be happy... right now it's a gas hog. Sometimes it feels like a SBC 350. As far as the laptop thing goes... I don't mind stuff like that. I see you're in the New England area, I know it gets much colder up there than it does down here in Washington, DC. All in all, I'll think I'll be good... and I rather pay $60 than $120 at a shop for them to tell me what it MIGHT be.

Sold my Tech1 a couple months ago on ebay.

It was mainly just nice to have,I use my snapon mt2500 for my OBDI stuff way more often and it will do more vehicles.

I use completely different stuff for OBDII,though both mt Tech1 and my snapon are updated and can do it as well.

My Tech1 was very complete and went for $550 plus shipping iirc.

For that money there are better options that will do both OBDI and OBDII. I only bought the Tech1 originally as a novelty and I like scantools lol.

If I knew I wouldn't get burned on the Tech2 clone I would be all over that for $600.

You can tune with a tech2 if you know what you're doing and can play with .bin files in hex,you just use the tech2 for flashing the pcm.