3800 S2 slight N/A Build: What's my options?

Buick666

So one of my buddies is willing to sell me a complete L67 in parts minus the Supercharger.

Everythings in good condition,engine block has been cleaned up and everything but i need to put everything back together.

He told me that i could take the heads which have bigger valves (I presume) with L36 pistons and L67 internals to make it stronger and add a comp cam kit also...

Anyway you guys have any suggestions?? I'm not looking for something really fast... just something a little bit more fun!

Only dif between a l67 and an l36 is compression, injector location, tb, and obviously the sc. Same block, same crank, same cam, same valves, same ports. He either doesnt know what hes talking about or hes trying to unload his junk on ya. If he has the tb thatd b worth messing with tho, its a lil bigger.

03 and newer heads have revised ports and bigger valves. Instead of a cam, i would do faster ratio rockers. Use that series3 uim you got laying arind. Then mebbe headers l67 tb and a tune.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound like a troll :)

Only dif between a l67 and an l36 is compression, injector location, tb, and obviously the sc. Same block, same crank, same cam, same valves, same ports. He either doesnt know what hes talking about or hes trying to unload his junk on ya. If he has the tb thatd b worth messing with tho, its a lil bigger.

03 and newer heads have revised ports and bigger valves. Instead of a cam, i would do faster ratio rockers. Use that series3 uim you got laying arind. Then mebbe headers l67 tb and a tune.

It's all good dude! That's why i came here before buying his stuff just to be sure!

The main reason why would i like a cam is for that nice idle sound and better rpm pickup and the kit is dirt cheap on summit racing.

After rebuilding a new engine i'll go with rebuilding another 4T60E eventually.

You oughta check into swapping to a 4t65. You need pcm, cvs, harness and trans cooling lines. Most of the 3.8/4t60 cars i see in the jy are there because of tranny issues, jus sayin :) Bad part on the cam swap is itll mess wi driveability and gas mileage. Rockers on the other hand, will give you roughly the same boost in power, plus it will be just as deiveable. Not to mention theyre a lot easier to install :)

It's all good dude! That's why i came here before buying his stuff just to be sure!

The main reason why would i like a cam is for that nice idle sound and better rpm pickup and the kit is dirt cheap on summit racing.

After rebuilding a new engine i'll go with rebuilding another 4T60E eventually.

I've been running a 4t60e behind a L67 for 50,000+ miles now in a heavier car with no issues. That said... it IS kind of a pain to make it all work happy but it can be done.

Mebbe im jus kinda biased against them after my bad experience with the r"rebuilt" 4t60 that was in my car. Talked to the po the other day and was told the guy that built it was the guy in town that was supposed to have been a gm tranny tech for 30 yrs lol. Yet he couldnt install a front pump seal correctly?

You oughta check into swapping to a 4t65. You need pcm, cvs, harness and trans cooling lines. Most of the 3.8/4t60 cars i see in the jy are there because of tranny issues, jus sayin :) Bad part on the cam swap is itll mess wi driveability and gas mileage. Rockers on the other hand, will give you roughly the same boost in power, plus it will be just as deiveable. Not to mention theyre a lot easier to install :)

I'll check into that. I've drove a cammed and built L98 in a Iroc-Z for almost a whole summer and i really enjoyed it and it felt smooth in my opinion! So i dont mind really about sacrificing a little bit of driveability with a cam/spring kit to be honest with you.

As for rockers i could get a clean set off of any LS engines at my buddies performance shop. I've heard they could be a good upgrade for an S2 is this true??

Now thats something i dont know for sure lol. I know the ls valve springs are, not sure how direct a swap they are tho. If the rockers do fit let me know, id b interested in that swap myself :)

I'll check into that. I've drove a cammed and built L98 in a Iroc-Z for almost a whole summer and i really enjoyed it and it felt smooth in my opinion! So i dont mind really about sacrificing a little bit of driveability with a cam/spring kit to be honest with you.

As for rockers i could get a clean set off of any LS engines at my buddies performance shop. I've heard they could be a good upgrade for an S2 is this true??

Now thats something i dont know for sure lol. I know the ls valve springs are, not sure how direct a swap they are tho. If the rockers do fit let me know, id b interested in that swap myself :)

Will do man! ^

One of my friends on Facebook just told me he would GIVE me rockers from an LQ4 6.0 liter truck engine if they are good for my L36! :thumbsup:

I've gotta find out if they do fit!

I wouldnt be suprized. Mebbe take one to the jy with ya and test fit on a junker? :)

Will do man! ^

One of my friends on Facebook just told me he would GIVE me rockers from an LQ4 6.0 liter truck engine if they are good for my L36! :thumbsup:

I've gotta find out if they do fit!

I put over 5000 miles on mine last summer with an xp cam and it drove fine and mpg was not to bad. Only problem I really had was extended idle would cause it to load up a little with the big injectors. Power gains were worth it.

The 4T65E-HD swap isn't bad. It takes a little while to extract the wires from a donor harness and lay them into your old one, and then the CV Shafts need to be cobbled together. I had to buy 4 new CV shafts in the end because I couldn't find the correct tulips so my installation (Engine already out) was about 5-6 Hours and $350 in CV shafts. Incidentally if anybody ever wants to put a 4T60 into a 1997 GTP for reasons I can't comprehend I have new CV shafts for you.

I'm interested in hearing how LS rockers work too, good luck....

Edited by Imp558

Should be able to just a pcm(?) And complete harness from a 98 z34 right? On the inner stub thing, i just cut the inner boots and left the stubbs in the tranny FREE. :) My total swap time: 7 hrs. Not saying im a supergreasemonkeybadass(1 word) im just getting to know my car TOOOOO well. When i 3.8 swap it gonna try to do it in 5 hrs . I have a friend whos gonna help me that is actually a good helper so im confident :)

The 4T65E-HD swap isn't bad. It takes a little while to extract the wires from a donor harness and lay them into your old one, and then the CV Shafts need to be cobbled together. I had to buy 4 new CV shafts in the end because I couldn't find the correct tulips so my installation (Engine already out) was about 5-6 Hours and $350 in CV shafts. Incidentally if anybody ever wants to put a 4T60 into a 1997 GTP for reasons I can't comprehend I have new CV shafts for you.

Should be able to just a pcm(?) And complete harness from a 98 z34 right? On the inner stub thing, i just cut the inner boots and left the stubbs in the tranny FREE. :) My total swap time: 7 hrs. Not saying im a supergreasemonkeybadass(1 word) im just getting to know my car TOOOOO well. When i 3.8 swap it gonna try to do it in 5 hrs . I have a friend whos gonna help me that is actually a good helper so im confident :)

That's in a perfect world for the CV shafts, but the shafts had different size tulips, another W body should have the correct tulips, but if it came from say.. a G-Body like mine did then the tulips are huge and won't work with the w-body tripods. Then if one of the 4 CV shafts in play are a parts store replacement and not OEM the tulips are likely too small for an OEM tripod or vice versa. LOTS of variables especially since the majority of us aren't first owners and we don't know if a replacement shaft could be in there.

As far as the wiring goes I was really referring to just converting a 4T60 harness, 1st gen Regals never came with the 4T65 and I'm not sure what harness would work. It wasn't hard to just mod the L36/4T60 harnss and I got to make cool changes to other parts of it too,like moving the ugly purge things and MAP sensor off my pretty engine, lol. I added the perf mode wire and installed a switch and relocated my PCM into the dash too.

Cvs on a rear drive g-body.....just f-in wit ya. I found some beer. ;) anyway i hear ya on part house cvs, you never know wut youre gonna get. :) As far as i kno, i hav the only 97 monte wit a 3.1 based engine wit a 4t65 :)

That's in a perfect world for the CV shafts, but the shafts had different size tulips, another W body should have the correct tulips, but if it came from say.. a G-Body like mine did then the tulips are huge and won't work with the w-body tripods. Then if one of the 4 CV shafts in play are a parts store replacement and not OEM the tulips are likely too small for an OEM tripod or vice versa. LOTS of variables especially since the majority of us aren't first owners and we don't know if a replacement shaft could be in there.

As far as the wiring goes I was really referring to just converting a 4T60 harness, 1st gen Regals never came with the 4T65 and I'm not sure what harness would work. It wasn't hard to just mod the L36/4T60 harnss and I got to make cool changes to other parts of it too,like moving the ugly purge things and MAP sensor off my pretty engine, lol. I added the perf mode wire and installed a switch and relocated my PCM into the dash too.

L67ss, You should be able to measure the tulips and get an idea whether or not the ones you have will work while the old ones are still on the car. Their sizes were noticeably different.

My apologies to Buick666, I feel like we railroaded your thread a bit And in my opinion I think you should get the supercharger bro, Used super chargers are easy nough to find And I giggle like a little girl everytime I hear mine whine.

Edited by Imp558

L67ss, You should be able to measure the tulips and get an idea whether or not the ones you have will work while the old ones are still on the car. Their sizes were noticeably different.

My apologies to Buick666, I feel like we railroaded your thread a bit And in my opinion I think you should get the supercharger bro, Used super chargers are easy nough to find And I giggle like a little girl everytime I hear mine whine.

It's all good man! Like i said in the members ride section... i'm going to check out a 2002 GTP for the swap tomorrow morning.

I agree i recently top swapped my 3800. It is amazing. car started as a 96 Z34 with the 3.4 DOHC, after 224,000 miles timing chain tensioner went even though the timing belt was fine. Ended up swapping to a 98 Z34 engine and trans. drove that for 2 years and a few months ago I installed a fully ported top swap. from heads to TB all ported and matched perfectly. Have Si valves, L76 (G8) springs, manley retainers, comp locks, and Viaton seals in the heads. also got Speed daddy headers, full custom exhaust, fender well intake, iridium plugs, and a dhp powertuner. with the exhaust and intake I ran a 14.9. after the top swap i put down a 13.9. If i ran it again i prob could shave another .2ths off as i had a full trunk with tools, sub, spare tire and old tires. Now with my new tires, more accurate tuning with my new wide band, and all that stuff out ( prob 150 lbs of junk) .2ths should be easy.

so again if you can deff aim for a topswap or l67 swap. NA will take a lot of mods and money to even come close to the power of a normal swap.