3.4 DOHC LQ1 - ac delete pulley Dorman #34197

oz37k

Hello All,

I have a 1995 MC Z34 which has a screaming a/c clutch bearing and not even worth spending the extra $$ to full fix my non functioning a/c. Hasn't worked for the past 6 years. I have been searching web and this site and have found that Dorman make a bypass pulley #34197. Has anyone used this on their LQ1 car and does it work. I plan to take my car to my friend's shop to get it vacuumed out so that there are no surprises when I disconnect the lines.

Any input would be appreciated. I would like to do this before my engine seizes.

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but having something on the serp belt wouldn't seize an engine, it would rob power and maybe eat a belt :think: However, I'm also curious to know because I currently have 2 LQ1 engines with non working AC, although I hope to have one working next summer, and maybe the other going this route

I could be wrong, but having something on the serp belt wouldn't seize an engine, it would rob power and maybe eat a belt :think: However, I'm also curious to know because I currently have 2 LQ1 engines with non working AC, although I hope to have one working next summer, and maybe the other going this route

yeah, sorry meant compressor seizes. my bad.

if/when the compressor seizes, expect to have a worthless belt in about 2 seconds. at that point, you'll obviously have no water pump, alternator or power steering either. won't seize the engine unless you kept driving it longer than the time it takes to pull off the road and swear at the compressor.

You're saying that buying a "delete pulley" costs less than buying a pulley bearing?

Hey, it's your car, but why drive a deteriorating junker when you could just fix it--or have it fixed--and enjoy the A/C?

ok. so I ended up getting the delete pulley but I noticed that the hardware included is not for my LQ1. Does anyone know if I can reuse the old hardware and add a nut and washer to hold pulley in place?

You're saying that buying a "delete pulley" costs less than buying a pulley bearing?

Hey, it's your car, but why drive a deteriorating junker when you could just fix it--or have it fixed--and enjoy the A/C?

The bearing probably costs less than the delete pulley did. I have done a couple AC bearings. The bearings are like $20 or so as I recall.

The bearing probably costs less than the delete pulley did. I have done a couple AC bearings. The bearings are like $20 or so as I recall.

Yeah but the compressor is gone, leaks all over. I don't want to spend to take off the compressor, put the bearing and still have a non-functioning compressor plus I heard you need special tooling if I am not mistaken.

ok. so I ended up getting the delete pulley but I noticed that the hardware included is not for my LQ1. Does anyone know if I can reuse the old hardware and add a nut and washer to hold pulley in place?

Mine for the L67 came with strange hardware too, but the shape was right so I just used the old compressor bolts.

Those delete pulleys are absolute garbage. I put one in my Regal and you could see a noticeable wobble from it.

The first tip off is that the pulley is friggin plastic. The back plate that bolts onto the engine is metal, but that is where it ends.

My Ciera's compressor went bad last summer thanx to the PO doing a piss poor R34 conversion, but thankfully the bearing inside is OK and Im able to just leave it alone without needing to remove it.

I've had 3 different delete pulleys on three different General Motors vehicles, and I never had a problem.

Jesus Christ...you'd think by the responses here that he wanted to delete power steering and power brakes. :roll::roll::roll:

• 1 month later...

I've put multiple thousands of miles on these delete pulleys with no problems. You should expect similar results!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

I've put multiple thousands of miles on these delete pulleys with no problems. You should expect similar results!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

Yeah, holding up well. I notice that the engine does not have the drag it had. Good thing I took out the compressor cause my mechanic showed it to me and it seemed that the pulley was going to fly off at any minute or weld itself from spinning with no bearing.

Mines had a pulley ever since I bought it. I wish it had a compressor... I have put about 15k on the car, who knows how long the previous owner had it in there. Old lady who "didn't like to be cold." plastic pulley and everything. No problems.

Yeah, holding up well. I notice that the engine does not have the drag it had. Good thing I took out the compressor cause my mechanic showed it to me and it seemed that the pulley was going to fly off at any minute or weld itself from spinning with no bearing.

I had an AC compressor pulley seize solid one morning. The starter couldn't even turn the engine over. It was bad.