Calling detailers product advice needed

jake91

Ok so I just upgraded from my cheapo black n decker orbital to a dual action polisher this one to be exact. Before you say should of got a porter cable I paid $60 for one that has been used only a couple times.

http://shurhold.com/dual-action-polisher

Now what I want to know is what are some good products for removing very light oxidation and mild swirls. Keep In mind I don't have a ton to spend so preferable products between $20-$30 a bottle at most, also what type of pads are best for this type of work and also just for getting a best overall shine when waxing

Also if it makes any difference my car is black

Thanks

Jake

Sigh, this is kinda like oil and filter preferences, but I'll bite. It depends on how much money you want to spend. The no questions asked, some of the best is the Adam's line, mentioned and preferred in almost every forum I've gone into. If you just want stuff that you can get in your local paint and body supply, or parts store, the Meguires professional stuff is pretty decent. My own pick is the stuff we used at the body shop I worked at, the Wizards line of products. I'm not sure if they have it everywhere, but it is all over up here in the north (probably because it's made in Minnesota). They have a "turbo cut" compound that makes quick work of 1500 grit scratches and finer, along with light hazing and ozidation. It's what we used to finish most cars when we had to wet-sand any dust nibs or anything. For black, you'll have to finish with a good polish and sealant as the turbo cut compound will leave swirls, most noticeable in the sun in black and blue cars. Just my $.02

I use Meguiars products on my cars. I had some swirl mark and light scratches on my GTP when I picked it up. After buffing it out it looks really nice. I like dual action buffers. That should do a good job.

Black is a hard color to work with because it shows everything, but it looks sexy when it's done up right. Maybe you would want to try a wax that is made for black vehicles.

I also use all Meguiars products. I have been detailing for 17 years. That's pretty much all I use. I am very happy with the results. I have tried a few other products, which are also good, but Meguiars is just easier to get.

• 4 months later...

I'm really new at this and also wanting to do the same, the red car i just bought has red haze but looks like it should shine up. So pardon me for my ignorance, are we talking rubbing compound or wax? or both? I'm really interested in learning to do this because i don't have $ to pay someone....

Rubbing compound is almost like using sandpaper. It will cut into the finish. It is gritty. There are different degrees of compound. They range from a heavy cut to finer cuts. Polishes bring back the shine. After you compound, the finish will be cloudy or hazy .. dull. Polish will make it shine again, and wax will protect it.