Removal/Installation Front SubFrame

dex_hamilton

I've Got a base 92 Lumina 3.1, I need to replace the Front subframe due to damage of the sway bar mounts ripping out of place. Quistion is, can i get away with just unbolting trans/motor mounts, and the A-arms from subframe (with proper engine support from top) ? Or will the A arms not have enough clearance to drop the frame? If thats the case I'm thinking I could take the top 3? bolts off that hold the strut/spring from each strut towwer?

Itd b easier to just pop the balljoints loose, but if you cant you can drop the struts with it, just make sure to hang the calipers outta the way

I've Got a base 92 Lumina 3.1, I need to replace the Front subframe due to damage of the sway bar mounts ripping out of place. Quistion is, can i get away with just unbolting trans/motor mounts, and the A-arms from subframe (with proper engine support from top) ? Or will the A arms not have enough clearance to drop the frame? If thats the case I'm thinking I could take the top 3? bolts off that hold the strut/spring from each strut towwer?

There is a way to do the subframe mounts without having to completely lower the entire thing. The book and others recommend undoing the steering shaft pinch bolt to avoid damage. If you support the weight of the engine/trans from the top it will make it easier to use a jack to support the subframe from below and the just do the back then the front. I was able to lower my rear subframe enough to swap swaybars and It looked like I could do the rear mounts as well.

Itd b easier to just pop the balljoints loose, but if you cant you can drop the struts with it, just make sure to hang the calipers outta the way
If you do that you might need an alignment afterwards. When I installed my front tower brace I was also changing brake pads, and had the car up on stands. Well like the part-time genius that I am, I pulled the strut plate off the drivers side. Only a part-time genius and it was my day off. Had a wicked pull to the left that an alignment corrected.

You're going to drop the subframe to fix SWAY BAR MOUNTS? The bolts ripped out of the subframe? Is the subframe structurally unsound due to rust or something?

I'd repair the existing bolt holes; spend 1/10 the money, and probably 1/10 the time. Less than that if oversize bolts and an appropriately-sized tap can be made to do the job.

I've seen that damage before. Spencer posted pictures of his 89's subframe with the entire area around the swaybar mount ripped right out.

the holes for his inner swaybar bushings are not tapped, they are nut/bolted.

If the nut/bolt holes are pulled out/enlarged, how about using the shackles from a DOHC sway bar? Not sure if shackles is the right word for them, but I can't think of what else to call them.

I considered that. might be a bandaid fix, they do use the holes that the smaller swaybars are bolted on with as guides though... Maybe worth a shot to try, but I don't see it holding up well if that whole area is demoed.

You could pull it down, inspect it, if its good aside of that get someone to weld it up.