stiffest rear sway bar installed in a w

l67ss

Swapping to olds intrigue struts in the rear of my 97 monte ls. I currently have a rear sway bar from a 98 monte z34. What i wanna know is what w, 88-2012, had the stiffest factory rear bar. I dont have access to a police impala. I do have access to; 92z34, 95 monte z34, regular impalas(3.4 and 3.8), 2001 monte ss, 2006 monte lt 3.9, intrigues (3.5 and 3.8), along with the usual w jy fodder. Thanks :)

Got a `96 MonteLumina bar and its pretty stiff. If its just a DD or occasionally DD, the Z34 bar is less expensive if found at a yard, gave about $12 for mine. Addco kit is IIRC $80-$100+ after shipping(its not that much bigger than Z34 bar either).

About to paint mine black and yellow stripped to resemble the F14/F18 naval fighters arresting hook. Decided on my design concept:)

Edited by rich_e777

the 96-97 Z34 was like the holly grail of Wbody parts. best suspension, biggest radiator. better front brakes then even the later W's just wish we could easily swap the aluminum engine cradle.

Addco bar is 7/8" I'm not sure what size the Monte bar is.

I seem to recall the Monte bar is 22mm or so? So basically about the same. The Addco is solid, I think the Monte bar is hollow. Not sure how much of a difference that would make. There are different formulas for torsional force between hollow and solid bars, but it's too much maths for me.

the 96-97 Z34 was like the holly grail of Wbody parts. best suspension, biggest radiator. better front brakes then even the later W's just wish we could easily swap the aluminum engine cradle.

You can swap it in. I did it on my Cutlass last weekend.

Thread Jack....! You swapped out aluminum cradle from thte Imapala's to your 1st gen W body? What did y ou have to do? just swap out control arms and such? Please tell!! I'm all ears

So, my head hurst what are the years that are best?

i have two rear sway bars, one is definately thicker than the other, but cant remember what they came off of.

1995-1996 Z34/MC front and Rear sway bar are the thickest from factory.

Thread Jack....! You swapped out aluminum cradle from thte Imapala's to your 1st gen W body? What did y ou have to do? just swap out control arms and such? Please tell!! I'm all ears

I am finishing up the swap, just got the struts but I did the whole thing- LCA's, axles, spindles, subframe. Had to move the front frame nuts 3/4" aft and drop the subframe 1.5" front and 1/2" on the rear. Got 6" bolts for the front, the gen3 rear bolts work. Check out my "twincharged cutlass" thread in the member's rides section for pics.

If so, barring someone doing a suspension upgrade... it might be early year models that ran out the remaining supply of the thicker bar? I have not seen any 96 model with the thicker bar.

So I could get a '95 Z34 rear bar from a Pick-N-Pull and it would bolt right in to my '94 vert? Do I need the end links as well?

Greg

There are no end links, just bushings with a metal bracket on the outside, HOWEVER, for the inner mounts the mount to frame bracket is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND brand new so you will need to find a good pair unrusted then just buy what called a sway bar repair kit from Autozone(about $35-$40) and it will have the two arm like structures with new bushings at the sway bar. Also its been said you may keep you auxiliary springs in place and still run a sway bar, and that the Aux. springs slightly lower the ass end. Short version to your question is YES.

NO. YES... POSSIBLY: Lucy, let me esplain:

Unless you widen the track width of the rear of your car the bar will not fit as it will interfere with the struts. If you have converted to coil overs and are using gen 2 lateral links/spindle rods/etc (or some slightly widen derivative linbs), then the bar can be used.

It is generally believed that you cannot stick wider arms on a car with the monoleaf.

I have installed a gen 1.5 rear bar on a 94 CS, but it was the smallest of the three avalible gen 1.5 bars. It was still thicker than the 3.4 gen 1 rear bar.

• 4 weeks later...