TGP Pace car(s)

Turbo v-sick

That pace car looks to have tan interior to me Adam, but maybe I'm going color blind?

The 1989 show/pace looks Grey to me maybe some others could comment as well. I was dumbfounded when I saw the sunroof as that's the first TGP in pace car trim that I have ever seen a sunroof installed. Many more pace car pictures to come, I'm about half way through my collection that's still growing.

Damn... Really looks grey to me but I guess in a nice way you guys are suggesting I get my eyes checked..lol Just turned 39 so it's probably a good idea anyways. Thanks for the input! :biggrin:

post-3417-143689164052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Turbo v-sick

Looks tan to me too. The seat belt gives it away better than the seats. Does anyone know if that is what TGP wheels looked like new? I have 2 sets, and both are more of an orange-gold than the ones in the picture above. I stripped and refinished a set in a similar gold to the pic and I think they look much better. But I'd like to keep a factory fresh look.

Its tan I agree should have paid better attention to the details... Cross-laces are gold powder coat not hard to color match.. Polish the lips if desired. Pics installed early 2011. Stance has not changed much nor the mileage. :biggrin:

post-3417-143689164073_thumb.jpg

post-3417-143689164075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Turbo v-sick

I painted mine. I can powder coat them later when I have a color I will stick with. I stripped the lips, cleaned them up, and re-cleared the entire wheel. I didn't want to polish them and have to keep them polished.

post-9474-143689164081_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689164077_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

Finally we get a good look at THOSE wheels. :D Does your '89 have the Turbo plate where the vin would normally be? First time I've seen that!

The car does not have a tittle so some special registration will be needed to drive it legally. My car does have the vin present on the vin plate unlike this one. This appears to be one of the prototypes that managed not to be destroyed. It was donated to a museum after the race in 1989 and used in 1990 as well. It's decaled up for the 1991 race but was not utilized for whatever reason. The car has not been ran since 1992 and no one is sure whats wrong with it.

so this is what you are up to, I just saw this bro. out of anybody on here man you always got something new going on I got to hand it to you. good find

so this might be one of the prototypes? like from 88?

How did I miss this, that is unbelievable! Where did you come across that?

And I must've missed something, what type of pace car was yours?

How did I miss this, that is unbelievable! Where did you come across that?

And I must've missed something, what type of pace car was yours?

Found TURBO 18 in Talladega, it has been in storage since 1992. My pace car is a production vehicle that was sold/given to a gentleman whom retired from Pontiac and I bought it from his son after he passed away. It has tons of paperwork stating it was at many Nascar tracks during 1989. I am not sure if my car ever paced any races but I do believe it was a show car on exhibition for people to see. The original invoice from Pontiac has an rpo code of 9D0 from which I've gathered is for decal removal.

http://www.longroof.info/pdf/rpo.pdf

post-3417-143689183845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Turbo v-sick

^ How did you get that?

I contacted Pontiac Historical Services and they found it for me. I was attempting to get a copy of the original window sticker that would have been in place on the vehicle when the car was sold new. It took them a few months to gather all the information and it was well worth the effort for me. Any production pilot, media, pace cars, etc that made it to the public would have an invoice like the one above and not a traditional window sticker. Same goes for the TTA group and that's where most of the help/information came from.

http://www.phs-online.com/services.htm

Edited by Turbo v-sick

Hm. I will have to see what they can dig up for mine. Is it pricey?

EDIT : I've seen that site before. I wasn't aware that they dealt with cars other than Trans Am and GTO.

Edited by Heartbeat1991

Hm. I will have to see what they can dig up for mine. Is it pricey?

EDIT : I've seen that site before. I wasn't aware that they dealt with cars other than Trans Am and GTO.

Yeah I probably paid more that I should have. They really were not as interested in the platform as I am. lol iirc they also used gm media archive for some of the information.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

• 10 months later...

didnt see this until now , YOU ARE THE MAN .   I've also wanted to see what those wheels really look liked up close... they are the same bolt pattern correct?