Power antenna only works under dummy load

yorxs

I swapped my 3 year old Kenwood head unit with a newer model. Now the power antenna never goes up. To troubleshoot I got out my test light and everything suddenly started working correctly. The test light lights up and the antenna goes up when the radio is on and down when the radio is off. As soon as I connect the wires directly, nothing happens.

Does this system require some type of resistor to create load? If so, how do I build something myself?

You power the Green wire with the power antenna/remote turn on lead. I suppose you could suppliment it with a relay from the auto parts store if the deck isn't supplying enough power. Typical relay: PIN 85 - Remote Turn On from Deck, PIN 86 - Ground, PIN 30 - Ignition (accessory) switched power, PIN 87 - Green wire to antenna. Alternatively you could just run the green wire to ignition (accessory) power so the antenna goes up when the key is on.

• 2 weeks later...

I never did solve the mystery. I considered soldering a light bulb in-line and hiding it to make it work, but decided to do it the right way and run new wire which solved the problem. Can't imaging what happened to the wire in the factory harness.