3.4 DOHC TIMING CHAIN REPLACEMENT

reddroptop

1 minute ago, 55trucker said:

Well son, don't believe everything one reads with regards to a third party aftermarket ad,

the tensioner is indeed mechanical.

Well that's good to know. Can it be rebuilt so it don't fail?

24 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

Greg:

that is the chain tensioner

Yes sir.  #71 in the diagram.

20210322_201321[1].jpg

Also, about 52:10 into the video.

Edited by jiggity76

There are no independent replacement parts for them, so as for *rebuilding* one all one can do is to disassemble the item to inspect the spring the ratchet mechanism & the pre-load safety. A new one is shipped pre-loaded dry, one fills the inside with oil to permanently lube it, the oil cannot get out as there is the rubber boot at the pintle end & a small rubber cap the at the top end. When installing the piece there is a safety pin keeping the spring loaded ratchet from releasing. After all the idlers & the belt are in place one pulls the pin to engage the tensioner to the tensioner pulley.

GM 3.4 DOHC engine front ocver pic.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

6 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

There are no independent replacement parts for them, so as for *rebuilding* one all one can do is to disassemble the item to inspect the spring the ratchet mechanism & the pre-load safety. A new one is shipped pre-loaded dry, one fills the inside with oil to permanently lube it, the oil cannot get out as there is the rubber boot at the pintle end & a small rubber cap the at the top end. When installing the piece there is a safety pin keeping the spring loaded ratchet from releasing. After all the idlers & the belt are in place one pulls the pin to engage the tensioner to the tensioner pulley.

Really wish that I could find a new one. Would feel better about it. Seeing that I have never taken one a part. lol

38 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

Do you have an engine that has seen the tensioner fail?

Not yet, but with being an interference motor I really don't want to take that chance. I had a Mitsubishi that the hydraulic tensioner went out and was not pretty. Waked all intake valves and it hurt the wallet. Not looking forward to that again cause the car will see the scrapyard then.  

Well  with the 96-97 engines vigilance is a wise approach to take, don't forsake the timing belt maintenance routine.

If the engine has gone past 60,000 miles & the belt hasn't been replaced keep an eye on the belts condition on a regular basis. Pull off the front access cover & have a good look at the belts condition.

Look for debris under the belt, small black particles can be expected, anything on the large scale is a *red flag* to pull off the belt cover to get a look at whats lying in wait. Generally the belt will fail before the tensioner does, but the tensioner cannot keep the belt under *proper* tension if the belt has stretched too much, that's why there is a maintenance schedule on the belt.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2013 at 11:17 AM, Galaxie500XL said:

They're already somewhat hard to source. The plate with the bushing that holds it in place is already almost impossible to find. Unfortunately, the two actuators I've pulled off the car, one is the one that was on it when I purchased the car..while it was functioning, I have no idea as to how old it is, and the second failed after only 30,000 miles. I really should get another actuator ordered, to go along with my pile of parts. Ain't LQ1's fun? :dance:

Where did you find a new actuator?

3 hours ago, 96 Pontiac gtp said:

Where did you find a new actuator?

I had to get it at the dealership....but I don’t know if they’d still have them, that was a long time ago.

1 hour ago, 96 Pontiac gtp said:

Cutlass350,  I'm looking for the timing belt actuator not chain but thank you

Thru all my sources, I think I've bought the last one.  Well, the last one listed in the parts database.

20210129_165127.jpg

Edited by jiggity76