Ode to an LQ1...

BrianK82

I just wanted to say I love my LQ1. I know it's a pain to work on at times, but it's so worth it. The way that thing pulls on the top end, and the sound it makes, it's like heaven. I've had more than my fair share of 2.8's and 3.1's, and even a Quad4 Beretta GTZ, but the engine in my Cutlass is easily the most potent I've ever experienced. Yes, it may not have all the power in the world, but the RPM band is great. From my experience most 2.8, 3.1, and 3400 run out of breath above 4500, and the LQ1 is still screaming at 6500. It just keeps winding up. I get such pleasure with the top down on a back road to just stomp it and let it eat. Turning out on a back road on an on ramp is just an excuse to lay into it. I've had it about 3 years now, and I've done all the fun stuff to it. It's had a new timing belt, idlers, tensioner, actuator, plugs, wires, oil pump drive o ring. Yes, I cussed at times, but it runs like a champ. Super smooth down low, but get her above 3500, and it's like you flick a switch and it's a race to red line. Gotta be one of the best engines ever..

When I think of mine, I think of the story of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. I don't know if I've ever had a car that I've praised so often while driving, and cursed so often when it broke. :lol:

You aren't lying! I just replaced the water pump today along with a new serpentine belt since I noticed it was cracked a bit. Last week I replaced the coolant temp sensor after my driver side fan started running non stop all the time and also the coolant connection that's right by it. I also replaced the alternator the week before that after it left me stranded. In 3 weeks it's given me hell with a new repair every week. I still love the damn thing though! Fucking awesome shitty car lol

If you think that thing pulls you should drive a 1st gen SHO. I've driven a couple 3.4's, they were alright. Now a '91 SHO with a manual... that's a pull.

Yeah any 1st or 2nd gen SHO's pull really nice

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000x using Tapatalk

True...but if you have to raise the hood, they make LQ1's look easy to work on.

Yeah any 1st or 2nd gen SHO's pull really nice

Sent from my Motorola Dynatac 8000x using Tapatalk