Lady who works on her own car in oregon 86 iroc tpi v8

ladyiroc

Hi I have an 86 Iroc TPI came with 305 but suppose to have been swapped out for a 350 not exactly sure how to tell for sure on the motor. But thats the least of my worries my car drained my battery put new one in, then put new alternator in but battery was drained again. what should i look for?

Well...you should probably start by looking for a different website. lol This site is for W-Body's which didn't start until 1988 and don't look anything like a Camaro.

However, in a general automotive sense:

If its discharging when it's sitting overnight, assuming that you've already checked for a door light or something being left on somewhere, you might try pulling some fuses the next time you shut it off to see if you can narrow down where the problem is (does it not drain when X fuse is removed).

or

If it's discharging while you're driving it around you should look for loose or disconnected wires near the alternator/battery.

Anyway...ummm...welcome to the forum?

Your Camaro is an F-Body. F-Body.com Check your alternator, starter and battery connections. Make sure they are all tight. Bring the car to a local parts store (Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc) and ask them to check the charging system. They will do so for free. If that checks out good, you likely have a short somewhere. As stated above, try pulling a different fuse out overnight until you have isolated the problem.

As others said, this is a site for mostly FWD sedans. http://www.thirdgen.org is a good F body resource

But check things like old aftermarket alarms, stereo wiring anything thats been added onto the cars electrical for possible placed where you could have a voltage drain on it.

Sedans???? Nah we just let those guys tag along:D Welcome to the forgotten GM cars of not so long ago. F-Body.com is awesome and you will find many experts there. However there are many car guys here such as myself who has a history of dry humping American Muscle cars. Also had a badass mullet when I was rockin kindergarten back in the 80`s. Probably gonna have to see some pics of that Iroc. If anything a mod might can move this thread to "other cars". Wire brush all electrical connections and grounds.

Edited by rich_e777

Welcome. Most of my suggestions have already been covered above, My wife's first car was an 87 Iroc that came from the factory with a 350 TPI. It is still in my in laws garage. Given the age, checking cables, connections, etc would be my first step. Then have a parts store doing a charging system check. Other than that, start looking for something that can be draining the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure where exactly to send you for a community dedicated to that generation of Camaro. I know several people over on LS1tech have them and topics about them come up often. As you have seen, people on this site are very helpful and can give good advice to the extent of their knowledge with that platform. Glad you got it figured out. What was the issue?

A lovely Lady comes in here and asks for our help? Most of you told her to go the F-U Body site...COME ON! Where are our manners?

Lady, give me a call and I can help you if you ever need some info...360-434-5800