Buick Grand Century?

Mercury-Regal

post-7957-143689143454_thumb.jpg

I have two grilles for my Mercury...

It fits rather well. lol

So, Anyone know what kind of upgrades I can do to the Tanturd to make it an enjoyable (fast maybe) car?

Have you ever thought about swapping the 3.1 for a 3.4 or even better.... a 3.8?

I've thought about a 3.8 swap, but I've also had dreams where I dropped the body on a LSX chassy...nothing is impossible- just need money. lol

3400 would be a relatively easy swap. with the 3.33(or 3.29) gears of the stock trans and a 20hp bump, it will feel about like a 3.08 geared S2 or S3 N/A 3800.

3400 would be a relatively easy swap. with the 3.33(or 3.29) gears of the stock trans and a 20hp bump, it will feel about like a 3.08 geared S2 or S3 N/A 3800.

If I'm swapping an engine, I might as well go the extra distance and get the 3.8

Wonder if anyone has ever bothered to mod the jellybean centuries...

How about a Buick Century Gran Sport instead?

Buick-Century-GS1.jpg

perfect. lol

Wonder if anyone has ever bothered to mod the jellybean centuries...

if you're going through a 3800 swap, you might as well just pick up a regal since that is essentially what it would end up as.

if you're going through a 3800 swap, you might as well just pick up a regal since that is essentially what it would end up as.

but then I wouldn't have the most amazing buick century there ever was...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what else can be done to a Century? I mean I guess you can keep the car in the 60 degree family and get a 3.5 from a G6 or something but that's no fun! Plus, there's not much else to do to a Century... For all intents and purpuses, its a lower end Regal. :/

there are some things you can do to make it fast maybe but it all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it the first thing I would do is a better flowing exhaust system; the down pipe is pretty restrictive on these cars and I believe that it has the smallest interior diameter of the whole system, also depending on the year of the car the post-2000 models had a better intake manifold so you could look into that if it applies to you. the more expensive route: believe it or not there are high performance cams out there for this engine, you can do all sorts of valve work, porting, turbos/superchargers if you want to go that route. you can put in disc brakes in the back and lower the suspension too.

there are some things you can do to make it fast maybe but it all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it the first thing I would do is a better flowing exhaust system; the down pipe is pretty restrictive on these cars and I believe that it has the smallest interior diameter of the whole system, also depending on the year of the car the post-2000 models had a better intake manifold so you could look into that if it applies to you. the more expensive route: believe it or not there are high performance cams out there for this engine, you can do all sorts of valve work, porting, turbos/superchargers if you want to go that route. you can put in disc brakes in the back and lower the suspension too.

I agree with you 100%, but my previous post was a response to RobertlSaar. He stated doing the 3800 swap was just making it a Regal.

I know there's a lot of performance parts for that 3100 and to push it further the 3400... hell Milzy (not sure if anyones familiar with him on here) specializes on making that engine a total sleeper. I know a lot of guys on my old Grand Am and Alero forum that have used him to do crazy things to their car. I know someone on the Alero forum that even did a 6 speed swap for that engine... While that wouldn't make it a Regal per se, anything that devoids this car of a 3100 would be. The disc brakes would basically make it a Regal as well. It's the same as my old Grand Am. I semi converted that car into a GT. Disc brakes, new bumpers, etc. Only thing was that my car was a 4 banger, something a GT never had.... I guess that could be done to a Century.... make it its own disticnt performance car avoiding the 3800... anything else would probably be regalizing it.

• 1 month later...