ABS Wheel Sensor Removal

yorxs

I attempted to replace the front ABS wheel sensors today. While I was able to unbolt the sensor, I could not figure out a way to wiggle it out of the space. Does this project require undoing the wheel bearing or is there a trick someone has found to squeeze it out?

If you look at the front of the wheel bearing you'll see 2 small studs spaced about an inch apart, get a 3/8ths extension and use a hammer to drive them out, its just friction/rust holding them in there with the top 2 wheel bearing bolts removed.

it will be a bit tricky fishing them out of the knuckle with the axle and everything in there, but its possible.

The problem is fitting the sensor between the CV boot and the shock housing, I can't smash the boot enough to slide the sensor out and I don't want to damage the boot. I took the hub nut off and pounded the axle back about an inch and a half but its not enough.

1. How do I spline the axle back onto the hub if I take the hub off? Right now I can still thread the hub nut on and tighten it to draw the axle into place.

2. It really looks like the axle needs to be removed to get the room I need. If I take the hub off I still don't see how I get the clearance to slide the axle out.

I've always unbolted the ball joint from the control arm. Then use a bar to push the control arm down to pull the strut/knuckle away from the axle. After that you can rotate the strut/knuckle assembly more towards you so you can see what you're doing.

I think this is easier than trying to remove the wheel bearing especially if yours is extremely rusted and the bolts are too hard to get out. When I replaced mine I could barely get any of the bolts out that held it in.

Can you turn your steering wheel to gain access? Also how did you determine that it was one of your front speed sensors and did you use a scan tool? if so which kind?

place a jack under the balljoint and raise the suspension. careful, you will be lifting the vehicle by that point. this will straighten out the CV shaft and provide the needed clearance.

Coincidence? i just popped a wheel speed sensor out five minutes ago. LOL

when reinstalling, make sure you coat the "pegs" with grease and de-burr them so them go back in smoothly.

Can you turn your steering wheel to gain access? Also how did you determine that it was one of your front speed sensors and did you use a scan tool? if so which kind?

I couldn't find use of a scan tool for free. Since I bought these online for $14.99 ea. brand new in Delphi boxes I figured I would gamble. I replaced an ABS sensor on my Z24 Cavalier in 15 minutes I figured I could the GTP as well. However this project is proving to be a major PIA.

I like idea of jacking on the ball joint, I'll give it a try when I get a second jack, just in case.

Crazy K, you are a genius! Once I got the got the ball joint raised it gave me the clearance I needed. To bad I wasted all that time taking the wheel hub apart, cause I changed it in under 30mins this way.