89 GP SE audio issue

ACTdryice

I have an 89 Grand Prix SE with the "Performance" audio system in it, EQ, steer wheel controls...

Every time I turn it on it pops and squeals through the speakers, no matter what the volume is the "pops" are always loud, the speakers are not blown out as far as I can tell, I checked all the harness connections, antenna etc. I do get some radio stations that come in as well as I hooked my iPod up and ran it through the tape player, it worked but still had the pops and squeals. Does anyone have any thoughts? I do believe it has an amplifier (factory installed) could that just be bad?

I really want to keep the stock system the car is low mileage (47xxx) and super clean and original

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Thats what it sounds like ^.

The head unit is a separate piece in that, remove your glovebox and you'll see it. Its just a silver box with a blue wiring harness going into it.

Replace the amp first! get one out of an early 90s buick park ave or something. Fixed all of my similar issues.

This is what I was referring to, thats the thing behind the glove box right?