'94, Top won't go up. Pump is running, no leaks, fluid o.k.(?)

scottwhite98

Hello all-

Long time Oldsmobile guy, first time convertible owner. Picked up a '94, black over red 3.4L, 116K over the weekend. Has some usual problems, the most serious of which is when you hit the button for the top to go up, you hear the pump go but the top barely moves. If you help it up it will close. The pump has a opaque reservior with two lines cast into it. When the top was up the fluid was above the bottom line, so I don't belive low fluid is the issue. If it retracts o.k., does that suggest that the rams are not the problem? Am I safe to assume that the pump is the issue?

Thanks,

Scotty

I suppose... if I over fill the tank (and leave the plug off) the only thing I risk is a pool of tranny fluid in the trunk... I'll give it a shot. Don't other fluid reserviors have the semi-clear tank with the two lines?

Scotty

I suppose... if I over fill the tank (and leave the plug off) the only thing I risk is a pool of tranny fluid in the trunk... I'll give it a shot. Don't other fluid reserviors have the semi-clear tank with the two lines?

Scotty

My 93 had the same problem, I isolated the difficulty to the right side hydro accutator. Change both and works like a champ. The cylinder replacement is pretty simple, getting to them requires removal of the back seat and side panels which is a lot of fun and most of the work.

You mean the hydraulic rams? Yea...those side panels look like a PITA.

Scotty

As a fellow 94 owner, the side panels aren't that tough to remove. The annoying thing about it is that you have to do it with the top down because the side panel is actually held in at the top with the plastic panels that cover the support beam in the center of the car.

If you have to, raise the top enough to get the roll bar trim off then put the top back down. Beware of the hidden screw at the front of the side panel about 2 in below the arm rest behind the panel trim carpet. While you're in there install 3/8-24 female rod ends on the tops of the cylinders (rams). Summit racing SUM-MSF6 $5 ea.

My question is how to troubleshoot this to make sure it's the rams so I don't throw good money after bad? Why does it go up fine but not down? Why would the rams work in one direction but not the other? Is there another motor used to retract the top? I thought if the rams were bad they'd start leaking and I detect no leaks.

Just want to make sure I don't throw away $300.

Thanks,

Scotty

Unfortunately the only real way to tell would be to disconnect the hoses and cap off the pump and check pressure with a gauge. I have could not find out what the pressure is suppose to be. I swapped out some j/y pumps with no change in mine. Mine went down but not up. I then noticed thee pass side pushing up but not the drivers side. Figured there was an internal cylinder/ ram leak and bypassing. It was 8 mos before I found some in j/ y. Installed driver side ram and it worked great. It looks like the threads directly into the pump are 1/8 in female ntp (national pipe tap) so putting a gauge in there would be easy. I'm still not sure what the pressure should be. As a side note, the pump is the same for a Pontiac sunbird/ Chev cavalier vert. Does anyone know what the pressure is suppose to be?

I have the same situation...down but no up. I'd have to get a spectator to see if one side was moving and the other not...but, might as well change both rams. eBay has top rams for W-body 'verts...I think they're about $150 ea. Anybody tried them?

Convertible services ph: 626.285.2255, Florida or west coast I forget, sells them (I think they are an eBay seller as well) had them a year ago or so for $250 a pair. They also had the pumps for $250 and hoses for $100. If seems like they had some top header seals too for $150 or so.