BlkndGoldCutlass

So my '93 cutlass supreme 3.4l has been sitting in storage until I found the ambition to replace the heads. I went to start it the other day and hooked the charger up to it. A few seconds after I did that I heard a loud pop and smoke started coming outta the throttle body. I dont have anything thing now. No cluster movement or anything. Not sure what happened. Your opinions would be great they are always helpful. Thank you

It's likely a fusible link, located below the throttle body along the left side, inspect it visually and if one's fried, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and cut it out, the guys at the parts store can identify it's rating by color and you may consider replacing it with a maxifuse holder until you figure out why something that big of a rating popped. Also check for wires chewed by rodents since it's been sitting for a while.

A sealed maxi-fuse and sealed holder are a good idea you oughta see a fusable link when it blows its a wonder theres not more bbq cars :)

It's likely a fusible link, located below the throttle body along the left side, inspect it visually and if one's fried, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and cut it out, the guys at the parts store can identify it's rating by color and you may consider replacing it with a maxifuse holder until you figure out why something that big of a rating popped. Also check for wires chewed by rodents since it's been sitting for a while.

I think it just rose up that way, but if you don't have power you either popped a fusible link or something else like a battery cable connection. Anything that could have smoked up by the TB would have cost you just a fuse. You'll have to look the whole thing over for rodent damage. You may look the Mass air sensor over, that's in the neighborhood.

Two wonderful things about a fusible link:

1. They're cheap to build-into a wiring harness.

2. They withstand a considerable SHORT-TERM overload, where fuses typically don't.

The insulation of a fusible link should be "fireproof", so no surprise that they don't often BBQ the car when they pop.