Suspension issues and help?

Hoganator

Is the 1995 Grand Prix SE on shocks or struts? About how much would it cost a a speed shop or a shop that does suspension to replace the shocks and struts? Can I get the car lowered when i get the new suspension parts? Altogether, how much would I have to spend to get my car lowered and have the shocks or struts replaced? I want to do this all at once. Thanks! My suspension is pretty rough and my car seems to sit higher with these new rims I got.

Struts as to cost no idea

Is the 1995 Grand Prix SE on shocks or struts? About how much would it cost a a speed shop or a shop that does suspension to replace the shocks and struts? Can I get the car lowered when i get the new suspension parts? Altogether, how much would I have to spend to get my car lowered and have the shocks or struts replaced? I want to do this all at once. Thanks! My suspension is pretty rough and my car seems to sit higher with these new rims I got.

Those look like the same rims I have......

If you wanna get your car lowered, easiest way is coilovers out back and lowering springs up front. Youll need the parts for the coilovers out back, which are about $400ish now-a-days, the lowering springs up front which are about $100ish, the cost of the struts themselves, which is about $200 give or take, depending on what struts you choose, then youll need an alignment so add in that cost as well. So to have someone do this for you and your alignment, your looking at right around $1,000. Unless you know someone that can give you better prices.

Cleveland! I was just there a week ago, I posted a thread about Pull-A-Part stuff there in Links & Deals. Several cars at west have parts you may want to look at. One was a Lumina that had a bunch of new new up front and then got scrapped for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if it had new struts. There's also a Gen 1 Cutty convertible with a factory FSTB.

thanks for the reply 19Cutlass94, much help! haha and the pull-a-part is not a bad place at all. i havent personally got parts there but many people i know love the deals and the crazy amount of cars they have salvaged. I'm on the West Side as well

Those look like the same rims I have......

If you wanna get your car lowered, easiest way is coilovers out back and lowering springs up front. Youll need the parts for the coilovers out back, which are about $400ish now-a-days, the lowering springs up front which are about $100ish, the cost of the struts themselves, which is about $200 give or take, depending on what struts you choose, then youll need an alignment so add in that cost as well. So to have someone do this for you and your alignment, your looking at right around $1,000. Unless you know someone that can give you better prices.

True, but I would not waste money on front lowering springs. Just cut one coil off your factory front springs. It will give it a nice drop and it will ride great. I've done it to 2 1996 GP's (an L82 and an LQ1) with great results and plan to do it to the TGP here soon. The ST lowering springs on my 96 when I bought it were terrible. Oh and cutting a coil is free too! :D

True, but I would not waste money on front lowering springs. Just cut one coil off your factory front springs. It will give it a nice drop and it will ride great. I've done it to 2 1996 GP's (an L82 and an LQ1) with great results and plan to do it to the TGP here soon. The ST lowering springs on my 96 when I bought it were terrible. Oh and cutting a coil is free too! :D

I'll never cut springs, nor tell anyone else to do so. To me, that's half-assed. I either do the job correctly or don't do it. You and others may not like my opinion. But that's what I believe. Regardless of outcome or how it works.

Sent from my iPhone

I'll never cut springs, nor tell anyone else to do so. To me, that's half-assed. I either do the job correctly or don't do it. You and others may not like my opinion. But that's what I believe. Regardless of outcome or how it works.

The problem is all lowering springs for w-bodies are "half-assed." Unfortunately nobody has ever developed lowering springs for w-bodies. What was/is for sale are generic lowering springs by companies who blanket all car makes. They are just making generic springs made to some dimension charts. No devlopment went into proper fitment, spring rate, etc. That's why the car rides terrible, has ricer bounce, the spring coils collide, shocks bottom out, all not to mention the springs coming unperched. AFAIK the cheap chinese springs on ebay are the only ones available anymore anyway. I'm guessing they are better than the ST springs, but they're still really bad. It's not nearly as "half-assed" to use a proper FE3 spring GM designed. Ride and fitment remains as factory.

For more mainstream cars like any GM RWD car there are lots of options of properly developed performance parts of all types, not just springs. For my 87 Monte SS, there are parts and packages from companies like Hotchkis, SC & C, Global West, BMR, and many more that do develop parts to fit and perform on an actual vehicle. A lot of it has quite a bit of engineering behind it and is way better than cutting a coil. It just all costs a lot of $$$$. I could make the SS handle nearly as well as my C6, but it would cost nearly as much as I paid for the C6. Unfortunately nobody ever made much for w-bodies. :(