1994 Cutlass trip to the junk yard.

derkach99

Hello,

Today I picked up parts for my 1994 Olds Cutlass 4Dr and I got excited and grabbed some upgraded stock options and I have a couple questions. I pukked a bunch of parts from a 1994 Cutlass 2dr with the same blue interior as mine!!!

I have an analog climate control and I picked up the electronic climate control. Is this upgrade possible with ease? I am hearing some bad things.

I also picked up a steering wheel with the radio controls, how hard is it to install and make the buttons work in my cutlass that doesn't have this option?

Finally I also picked up an upgraded stock radio, Once again how does this upgrade go?

I found that the cutlass in the junk yard was like my candy store! Feel free to share if you find Cutlass in junk yards fun to salvage. Also I took the dash apart in the junk Cutlass and I found it very easy to what I thought it would have been, yay 1994 model year!

If both radios are stock originals they should be easy, just swap them and the cables should plug right in. The other two aren't so easy. If the car wasn't equipped you'll need other modules and probably some of the wiring harness. I think there are threads about doing this on the board, you'll have to search them out...

Well, I know for sure the turn signal switch is different between non SWRC cars, and SWRC cars, so you'd at a minimum have to switch out the turn signal...beyond that, I don't know...BUT, personally, if it's not an easy task to swap to the electronic climate controls (I don't know), I'd probably not bother to make a swap just to get the radio controls working.

swrc: you need airbag with the swrc buttons, airbag clock spring, and the turnsignal switch is different, but it it only a small pigtail that could be swapped from a donor in place of yours.

next issue is that doing all of that still gets you know where without a good SWRC radio, and swrc compliant dash harness. Your dash harness will not have the SWRC wires installed unless you have automatic climate control factory installed.

can you convert to the automatic climate control? yes, you can either get a complete donor harness or cut and splice/solder alot of wires to install it. Taylor did the cut and splice and solder in one of his cars. You also need to get the fan control resistor pack from a donor, located in the bottom passenger side of the HVAC box

BUT...before you go too far.... here are PROBLEMS:

the 94- cutlass SWRC radios... I have about 20 or them. they are ALL bad.

even if you try to 95+ radios... I have tried ten of them. only one works.

I personally like the base model radio for the 88-94 years, as i mod them to have an aux input.

and

automatic climate control does not seem to have the exact ability to do what you really want it to do. I don't really like it.

93 and 94 model year automatic climate controls also have a tinted screen that really annoys me... because they fade and are often too bright... 92 and earlier don't...

I would pass on these options... and get a HUD and a DIC instead!

Edited by Crazy K

A dealership manual will help TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At roughly 65$(used) and 6 inches thick they are worth there weight in gold, and are a must have if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. I got one and it clarifies things a lot better than the Haynes manual which includes various models with various engines. The 1994 CS supreme Sl manual is only for the Vert, coupe and sedan only.

A dealership manual will help TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At roughly 65$(used) and 6 inches thick they are worth there weight in gold, and are a must have if you plan on keeping your car for a long time. I got one and it clarifies things a lot better than the Haynes manual which includes various models with various engines. The 1994 CS supreme Sl manual is only for the Vert, coupe and sedan only.

I have that manual its great!

I think will just stick with the upgraded radio of which I cleaned up and installed today, it works great! I think I will pass in the automatic climate control and steering wheel controls as they appear to require to rip the dash apart. Unless i am wrong.

Edited by derkach99