IDK what to do.. about my subs

Hoganator

I got a system put in my car by a "professional" car audio shop near me. They did all the wiring through my car and installed a new headunit. I have 2 mtx subs and a pretty nice alpine amp. The ISSUE is i keep losing power to this amp, it'll turn on and off at random. I have no idea why because all the connections are right and hooked up. I dont even abuse my system its on pretty chilled out settings. I just have no idea where the shop installed my grounds, so i think those are possibly loose. The reason i won't take it to the shop now is because they are crooks who chop cars and make copies of your keys to steal their stuff back, no thanks.

So where have you guys put your grounds? Sound like it could be another issue?

I got a system put in my car by a "professional" car audio shop near me. They did all the wiring through my car and installed a new headunit. I have 2 mtx subs and a pretty nice alpine amp. The ISSUE is i keep losing power to this amp, it'll turn on and off at random. I have no idea why because all the connections are right and hooked up. I dont even abuse my system its on pretty chilled out settings. I just have no idea where the shop installed my grounds, so i think those are possibly loose. The reason i won't take it to the shop now is because they are crooks who chop cars and make copies of your keys to steal their stuff back, no thanks.

So where have you guys put your grounds? Sound like it could be another issue?

I`d check inside your trunk at the strut tower nuts for grounds. The cars with upgraded sound systems I`ve seen have been grounded off the front or rear strut nuts.

this is why I started doing my own installs. I am so good at it, but also realize now that the work I do for my cars would cost thousands of dollars in labor alone at a shop. and there is no shop probably even willing to do as good a job as how I would expect.

I really love doing bulletproof wiring jobs though, it gives me something to do.

this is why I started doing my own installs. I am so good at it, but also realize now that the work I do for my cars would cost thousands of dollars in labor alone at a shop. and there is no shop probably even willing to do as good a job as how I would expect.

I really love doing bulletproof wiring jobs though, it gives me something to do.

I agree 100%!!!

:thumbsup: :D

I really don't want to pull my box out to take a pic, but best buy put mine on the back side of the rear seat frame. Not as good as the strut nut, but never cuts out. Best buy put a black painted lock washer under the ground terminal. I removed that and put it under the screw where it belongs. They barley scraped off any paint, so I did that too. Now the terminal is directly touching the bare metal, like it is supposed to.

So basically, follow the black cable. Don't be afraid to move some carpet, its not like its gonna fall apart. Check to make sure the terminal is screwed in properly. Make sure some paint is scraped off. If all those things look good and the amp still cuts out, move the ground to the strut bolt. If that doesn't work, get a new amp.

The power wire is pretty hard to do wrong. As long as it goes straight from your battery terminal on the amp to under your trunk and theres a fuse within a foot of the battery, its good.