HUDs, what's the difference?

1988PhantomFE3

I have always wanted an original 1988 HUD than came in the Pace Cars at Indy, but what is the actual differences between them all for each year? I know the dimmer switch was different, but only from photos.

Any knowledgable members with facts out there?

Thank You,

Too Lazy To Google!

Honestly, not too much of a difference. 88-90 Huds have the dimmer mounted on the left side of the dash and as you mentioned its different than the 91s to 94s.

88-90 Huds have a screen atop the glass like a plastic grate. They have Hughes badges on them.

91s+ are more rounded and sleek looking.

Internally probably some minor differnces. Maybe a few wiring changes. Mounting is pretty much the same.

A 91+ hud could be made to work in a 88-90 car and vice versa with a 91+ car and older hud.

If it wasnt so early I would dig up pics.

pretty much dead on. there were two different version of the early HUD, based on where the adjuster for the mirror was positioned, but both were seen in pacecars.... I've only seen Six of the original style HUDs in person ever, vs many more of the 91-94 style. I only have one in my collection :(

• 4 months later...

Ken, Did you call me afew months back? I can't remember who it was that wanted to sell me one of the original HUDs from 1988....

Thank You - ED 360-434-6758 < < < new temporary cell phone #