wastegate problems?

redgrandprix

started having boost issues today, boost is peaking around 5 or 6 psi on all settings of my boost controller and it sounds like it usually does if i were to push the boost to the limit of the setting but 5-6 psi isn't the limit of any of my settings, they should be 7-8 on the first 2 and 12-14 on the 3rd. at first i thought maybe there was a boost leak somewhere but all clamps are in proper position so what im hoping is that the diaphram or something has torn, what do you guys think?

i will try that out tomorrow if possible with the length of the tubing, i really hope the boost controller isn't the issue, the gauge is working fine but im not sure if i could just replace the part that actually connects to the turbo. this sounds about the same as what mine is doing

http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php?topic=5542.msg40005#msg40005

do you have a vacuum pump? that would tell you if the actuator has a bad diaphragm. Or if you are feeling fiesty you could blow or suck into the vacuum port and see if it holds by feel. You could also force the wastegate closed and see how it reacts, but then you have a very real possibility of overboost.

I would say probably a bad wastegate actuator.

ok i tested my actuator in my powerplants class and the results were it started to move around 15psi and was fully open at 22ish psi... anybody else surprised by these numbers? the new question is whats bad the turbo or something in the valvetrain? rebuild kits for the turbo are a couple hundred dollars valvetrain is just $$$$$$$$$$$$$

98% sure, ill double check but when a clamp came loose before it had similar symptoms but no sounds, when pressure is released now there is a sound that when i first got the car i related it to the wastegate opening, you can hear the wastegate opening right? my proffessor said it might be my bov which im gonna test by switching the lower intercooler piping off my sisters car but it's and hks ssqv so i wouldn't think it would make a tthhhhhbbbbttt sound

not the bov just tried my sisters lower charge pipe and same thing happened, the car drives fine under normal throttle only when boost is starting to build it will sort've hiccup like it's hitting a fuel cut maybe?

look at the spark plugs. what are they and what gap they got. check for cracked ceramic. visually inspect everything and make sure the wires are good and maybe ohm the coils. make sure you torque the plugs in carefully and everything. do it all with the engine cool.

i only ask because there are some threads on a grand national forum with darn near the same issue i'm having and that was mentioned, it's like $14 for a new one, but this issue the car is having is mind bottling... :confused?: then again if the sensor was bad wouldn't that throw the ses light? also i checked shaft play and there is a little but i don't know how much is too much

Edited by redgrandprix

sorry i guess i misread your earlier post :o, i unhooked the wastegate actuator from any sort of boost and that didn't fix it, im gonna check plugs and wires tomorrow if i have the time between work and school

so i checked the front 3 plugs and HOLY BALLS! far right plug (drivers side closet to turbo) was the worst looking spark plug i have ever seen short of total failure it had so much buildup on it, picked up new ones that will be put in tomorrow hopefully that will fix it.