wastegate problems?

redgrandprix

hmm didn't think to measure the old ones but the new ones are gapped at .40 or .040 whichever it is because my dad and i were like ehh why not try it, when i get injectors later this year after this is all sorted out and a tune from v-sick/flybynite i found that summit sells ngk tr6's that will fit and will probably replace the accel plug wires with taylors since they look fairly aged and hopefully the car will be AWESOME but you know how plans tend to work

heres a data log, should be something if anything in the first 5-10 minutes

no boost.xdl

Edited by redgrandprix

cylinder pressure dictates the voltage needed to jump the gap of the spark plug. higher pressure requires either a higher voltage to overcome it or a smaller gap.

alternatively, better electrodes lower voltage requirements. this is why all recent long-term plugs are moving towards smaller/sharper electrodes(made out of long-wearing materials), since a spark will more easily jump the gap between two sharp spots than two flat/rounded spots.

ok so i got weakish readings from 2 coils and no reading at all from the 3rd so i ordered 3 ac delco coils from amazon for 29$ a piece... that imo is an amazing price compared to everybody else, also bought these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-84230/overview/year/1990/make/pontiac/model/grand-prix, hopefully i was using the multi meter right and these were the problem

happen to remember the readings?

i can't remember off-hand, but i want to say secondary resistance should be around 5,000 ohms.

an open circuit reading on the secondaries is most certainly a problem though.

I always used to buy new coils but always change them out to find nothing has changed. but I saved the used ones to sell. I had a couple used sets and ICMs. and I sold a set of 3 with the icm for $30 yesterday

the readings were bouncing all over but mostly .25 or .3 in whatever ohm setting I was using, I put the tips of the multimeter one on each post of a coil, doing that I got 2 to read something and 1 didn't read anything, this was my first time using a multi meter... haven't had my electrical class yet

bought some at the dealership a couple times a couple years ago. I was getting my wires there too because they seemed to hold up better when pulling the boots off. the taylors are a little different than stock tgp wires so they seemed weird