2nd Gen Wiper Arm Removal

93CutlassSupreme

Any short cuts to removing these wiper arms? The car is a 1997 Grand Prix. The shafts just turn in the arms and I cannot get these damn things off. I have failed using my hands, pliers, screwdrivers, a hammer, and a battery terminal puller.

Thank you.

Did you release tension from the splines by lifting the arm, and inserting a drill bit through the hole in the wiper arm assembly to keep the arm raised? This hole is very near the hinge of the wiper arm, right by the splines and retaining nut. I'm thinking I used a 1/8" bit.

That, a wrench to remove the nut, and a battery terminal puller was all I needed to remove wiper arms from my '92 and '93, and the '95 transmission is built the same way--so your "97 should be similar.

The splines of my transmission and wiper arm are mostly gone on the right wiper arm, I thoroughly cleaned the external and internal splined areas with aerosol carb cleaner and a round wire brush, then I reassembled the arm to the splined posts with Loctite blue (medium strength, might be #292) threadlocker on the splines (not the threads of the nut), torqued the nut, and let that cure before turning on the wipers.

.http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/77031-1992-Lumina-Windshield-wiper-washer?highlight=wiper

Edited by Schurkey

When I was working at the body shop full time, we replaced glass too. I've probably done a couple hundred windshields among other pieces. The best way I found to remove them (we didn't even have the separator tool; probably should have) was to grab the short portion of the arm, which is stuck on the stud, and rock it up and down, as if it were a floor jack handle. Obviously, it will be very stiff/ stuck, but as your carefully rock it back and forth like a teeter-totter, putting equal pressure on it pushing downward and lifting upward, it should break the friction/ corrosion holding it to the taper of the stud and come right off. To one's I've showed it to, it's like magic.

I've never used either, just saw it and thought "well that would have been nice to have" I'd try the cheaper one and return it if it fails to perform.

and total yes on what Schurkey said on removing the tension with a drillbit or something similar, lift up and you should see a small hole to feed it through so you don't fight the spring tension when removing and installing.