1st gen: Sway bar and shock options???

Buick666

I'm looking around for a front solid sway bar et better than stock front struts.

I got a price on KYB Exel-G front struts for 128$ EACH 'Outch'

Did anybody tried them?? Or should i go for Monroes??

And also,what would be the best front sway bar option? Does Addco make a front solid bar?

Thanks for the help guys!

hey buick666 i think rockauto has those kybs alot cheaper.provided they are the cartridge design.im also in the process of up-dating/grading my suspension.ive heard you can also move frm the coilless rear struts the early wbodies had and move to the 3 bolt coil design.something about drilling a 3rd hole in the tower etc...that may also open up more rear suspension upgrades.i have the 2 bolt non spring rears on mine.

$128 for KYB's? Look elsewhere. They're like $50. Personally I think Monroes, Gabbies, and KYBs are all about the same. The forum seems to prefer the KYBs and KYB claims they're stiffer, so they're probably the safest bet, but all of them are extremely poor performance shocks. (I ran KYB's on coilovers on the rear of my old GTP). They are all designed to be good-enough replacements for steetcorner garages hocking blown-shock upsells and Grandpa's Buick. FWIW, GM rebadges Monroes under their ACDelco name. These are all that's available for the rear though. If you want performance front shocks you will have to pay for it. Adjustable Koni Race: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kon-86101437race

An Addco rear bar is probably the single best handling upgrade you can do (besides tires of course). The 34mm hollow bar, as mentioned, is the largest available for front. You can throw poly bushings on it for a little more leverage. 34mm is pretty damn big and it's actually pretty good for the street. If you're doing one, do the rear bar. It'll help a lot more with our plowing understeer.

Edited by jman093

Strut tower braces will also help as well as poly bushings. KYB struts are a little bit stiffer than stock and really make an improvement if you need to replace them anyways. FE3 rated springs are a bit stiffer than most. Not really much else that hasn`t been mentioned. Anyone bitching they cannot get their 15+ year old, FWD, large, sporty passenger car to make chicane turns at 80 mph they really need to re-evaluate their power plant and consider maneuvering thrusters:lol:

Upgrading the rear bar will CAUSE understeer learned the hard way upgraded rear of my monte first cause its the easy bar undefsteered like a mofo till i did the front one

$128 for KYB's? Look elsewhere. They're like $50. Personally I think Monroes, Gabbies, and KYBs are all about the same. The forum seems to prefer the KYBs and KYB claims they're stiffer, so they're probably the safest bet, but all of them are extremely poor performance shocks. (I ran KYB's on coilovers on the rear of my old GTP). They are all designed to be good-enough replacements for steetcorner garages hocking blown-shock upsells and Grandpa's Buick. FWIW, GM rebadges Monroes under their ACDelco name. These are all that's available for the rear though. If you want performance front shocks you will have to pay for it. Adjustable Koni Race: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kon-86101437race

An Addco rear bar is probably the single best handling upgrade you can do (besides tires of course). The 34mm hollow bar, as mentioned, is the largest available for front. You can throw poly bushings on it for a little more leverage. 34mm is pretty damn big and it's actually pretty good for the street. If you're doing one, do the rear bar. It'll help a lot more with our plowing understeer.

Upgrading the rear bar will CAUSE understeer learned the hard way upgraded rear of my monte first cause its the easy bar undefsteered like a mofo till i did the front one

No. It doesn't. You have no clue. I race my Corvette now, but I've spent a lot time racing and working with the w-body suspension. I've sent an oversteering w-body spinning out on course more times than I care to remember.

As stated, $128 for KYBs is way too much. Try tirerack.com or American-Powerhouse.com for MUCH better prices. You should be able to find them for $50 easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Wow thanks alot for the info guys!

And where can i find the front 34mm bar actually?? Z34 ??

Amy 3.4 DOHC car will have one. Luminas and Monte Carlos up to 1999 can have them too.

Amy 3.4 DOHC car will have one. Luminas and Monte Carlos up to 1999 can have them too.

That cool thanks!

Just checked the prices for struts and shocks on rockauto.com... I'm getting my ass raped big time with my prices! :lol:

I hav no clue huh? When i was doing my suspension i lived in north central arkansas i upgraded the rear i had to yank the wheel hard did the front bar back to easy controllable steering it doesnt matter what its on understeer is understeer which is caused by having too stiff of a rear suspension compared to the front

No. It doesn't. You have no clue. I race my Corvette now, but I've spent a lot time racing and working with the w-body suspension. I've sent an oversteering w-body spinning out on course more times than I care to remember.

If u sent them spinning that was likely OVERSTEER otherwise u would hav driven straight off course

I hav no clue huh? When i was doing my suspension i lived in north central arkansas i upgraded the rear i had to yank the wheel hard did the front bar back to easy controllable steering it doesnt matter what its on understeer is understeer which is caused by having too stiff of a rear suspension compared to the front