Whats the easiest way to restore 16 inch aluminum wheels

TheLazyRocket

What would be the best way to restore my 97 Cutlass Supreme SL 16 aluminum rims? post-8966-143689138924_thumb.jpg They need some serious help! I it bought like this and I don't know much about restoration, any tips would help.:think:

post-8966-143689138918_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like they're rusty, I'd use a scotch brite pad to scuff them and get rid of any loose flakes of paint, then rattle can them. I 've had good results with duplicolor wheel paint, I like their aluminum color and have had good luck with their clear coat too. Same process for the plastic lug covers. Oh, and mask off the tires with some of that blue or green painters tape. make one lap around the wheel with short pieces of tape on the tire, then tape some newspaper to that to finish covering the tire.

Hey thanks j_mezz for the reply. I think I will try your way, sounds not too expensive its doable thanks. When I got time ill show a before and after pic. So do scuff pad then duplicolor paint AND clear coat done...:) Oh, and how far do you think 1 can will go 1 or 2 rims or more?

for what it's worth, my 18s on the GTP are rattle canned, and they came out pretty darn good. I actually did them twice, wasn't happy with the first color.

Sick ride looks great.

How far would one can get you 1 or 2 rims or more?

I would probably 2-coat both the clear and silver. Use light coats though, especially for the clear which all seem to run more than the color coats (less so with the duplicolor clear but still, keep it thin).

Oh, and you might be able to get it done with one can of each but I would suggest getting 2 of each. They spray better when they're full. I've had a couple of times where it's starting to get empty and it sputters when you aim it down.

Before and afters are a must! Good luck!

Edited by j_mezz

• 2 weeks later...

I recently used lacquer remover (purchased from Auto Zone) to remove the clear coat from mine. I applied it with a microfiber cloth and rubbed it off. It took several evenings working at it but they look great. The clear coat on mine was deteriorated and it made the wheels look like they needed painted. The silver paint is still in great condition. You would not believe the difference it made. I have driven it all summer without any issues. Maybe what you see is the clear coat deteriorating and not the silver paint. It would be worth a try.

I got 2 wheels I'm not going to use. You can have them if you pay for shipping, but I will have to get something to hold the car up. Let me know, I'm sending off 4 PIE Wheels do get redone, so I don't need these man. 360-434-5800 ED

Let me find the link to one of my other post for you to view...