1986 olds 98 regency stall problem when coming to a stop

masonbm

Im working on a 1986 Olds 98 Regency .3.8 engine. The car will start up no problem ,however has a slightly high idle when first starting and seems to run a little rough but not overly rough. I checked for vacuum leaks with throttle body cleaner with engine running nothing seem to change, I replaced spark plugs as they were not in the best shape. I replaced vac tube to egr valve as it looked cracked. I was told numerous things to try and as I am in the auto service industry I am familiar with the newer makes but without proper scan tools or diagnose tools for a 1986, its pretty hit or miss. I am leaning on the throttle position sensor , or a crank sensor. I am also leaning on the mass air flow but I unplugged it and ran worse. im sure after I replace all these parts , it will turn out I need to replace the ECM. Any help will be greatly appreciated as i don't know what to try or replace first. Im trying to fix this for a neighbor who has 5 children and hasn't had a job for 8 months and found one but cant get there because of her problem with her car.

the MAFs on the early 3.8SFI/3800s were notorious for failing randomly. the ignition(coil pack and ICM) is also suspect to failure.

it is tough to diagnose without a datastream to look at, and these cars were not in any way fun or easy to communicate with.

Thanks to all who responded, I got a guy who has a used ecm so I can try that and at least see if something happens. Now for the next question if I may ask? Where is the ecm at and how do I get it out,,lol I removed the bottom panel to see if I can access it, I got a diagram off of aldata but its not looking like anything im seeing, my guess is its under the glove box up inside the dash as I saw the wiring harness on the firewall going into that area. Also there were 2 little modules and a little square one mounted along the firewall . at the end of those looks like a wiring clip about 4 to 5 inches long. On the 2 little modules that has a clip connector attached , I saw what looked like black tar on the wires that go into the clip port, I thought it was burnt, but looks more like somwthing black and its hard like corn flakes. Once again any help is much appreciated These cars are a blast to work on,,,,NOT

its below the glove compartment. remove the plastic panel under the dash

I took off the bottom panel to dash, then I see a little steel arm that comes down from dash and secures that plastic housing that I think hold the ecm it had 2 10mm bolts, do I have to take out the glove box to access the ecm or does that steel bracket arm hold everything in place. I had 2 back surgeries and its a pain in the you know what to get under there , maybe I should change the throttle sensor first,,lol

I took off the bottom panel to dash, then I see a little steel arm that comes down from dash and secures that plastic housing that I think hold the ecm it had 2 10mm bolts, do I have to take out the glove box to access the ecm or does that steel bracket arm hold everything in place. I had 2 back surgeries and its a pain in the you know what to get under there , maybe I should change the throttle sensor first,,lol

this is for the 88 but should be the same for the 98 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f8038fb18