Seat Track Swap, '95 CSC

Galaxie500XL

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not having any luck finding what I'm looking for... I found a '95 Regal with the 6-way passenger's seat track, and want to install it on the passenger's side of my car for the wife...the wiring is dead-nuts simple, but I need to pull the existing manual track off of my Cutlass seat, and install the Regal track without destroying the Cutlass seat. Looks to me like it's as simple as peeling back the leather skin, and unbolting the track from the Regal seat...is it really that simple, or are there other things I need to know before doing this?

gosh, its been awhile since I messed with 1g power seat tracks. Its possible, I'm just talking out of experience with driver seats, should be the same though.

I am quite sure that the power seat tracks and bottom of the seat are one in the same, as in cannot be separated without a bunch of work. Basically remove the tracks from your passenger seat, then there should be a couple bars holding the material to the metal seat bottom, remove those, remove all the plastic trim, unbolt the seatback from the back of the seat, and transfer all these parts to the power seat bottom.

That's pretty much what I was thinking...it should be nice having the power seat on the passenger's side, she says when she rides for awhile, the seat gets uncomfortable for her...the only bad part, the seat trim is red, so I'm going to have to paint it black. Thanks!

gosh, its been awhile since I messed with 1g power seat tracks. Its possible, I'm just talking out of experience with driver seats, should be the same though.

I am quite sure that the power seat tracks and bottom of the seat are one in the same, as in cannot be separated without a bunch of work. Basically remove the tracks from your passenger seat, then there should be a couple bars holding the material to the metal seat bottom, remove those, remove all the plastic trim, unbolt the seatback from the back of the seat, and transfer all these parts to the power seat bottom.

That's very thoughtful of you AL...thanks, I appreciate the thought.

Too bad you arent closer or else I would do it for you

I know second gen seats like the back of my hand, but first gen seats would probably be very similar... If you can pull up my thread of doing the dual heated seat conversion, I bet it may help with what you are going to encounter during your seat track swap

I saw that link...looks like the second gen seats are made a bit differently. I had hoped it would be like when I swapped the front seats in my old LeBaron, four bolts, and the track comes off of the seat...but NOOOOO....

I know second gen seats like the back of my hand, but first gen seats would probably be very similar... If you can pull up my thread of doing the dual heated seat conversion, I bet it may help with what you are going to encounter during your seat track swap
Edited by Galaxie500XL

Thats EXACTLY how first gen seats are

I saw that link...looks like the second gen seats are made a bit differently. I had hoped it would be like when I swapped the front seats in my old LeBaron, four bolts, and the track comes off of the seat...but NOOOOO....

Hmmm...the bolt heads are turned around on the INSIDE, between the track, and the seat...it's really that simple?

Thats EXACTLY how first gen seats are

It was a little more complex than "4 bolts", but not bad...the recline mechanism had to be swapped from my old frame, the Regal was a 4-door, and the recline didn't allow for the seat to fold forward to help rear passengers..

Everything bolted up great, and looks like a factory install.

Wiring was spliced from behind the floor connector for the power driver's seat, then run under the carpeting and console just behind the shifter, then exiting the carpet next to the airbag module under the passenger's seat.

• 5 months later...

What about the back seat? I'm trying to do the same thing,But all the way around. They look about the same length, and if you say the front are bolt and splice am I correct to assume they are too?

Since this thread showed back up, instead of making a new one I'll just ask... can you use the driver's side track on the passenger's side, or is it proprietary?