Mystery wire on 95 GT 3.4 Where does it go? What's it for?

tar6569

Hi all,

Got the car back together today. Still has some sort of miss. Doesn't stall anymore. Never pulled all the plugs just the wires so we will do that tomorrow. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you know what this wire/plug is for (the one being held, not the hood light). I was reaching up inside the driver's wheel well to find a pair of pliers that fell down and found the wire. Looking at the end of it, it hasn't been plugged in, in a long time. It appears to snake down back behind the engine??? By where the harness plugs into the transaxle. Not really sure as we were calling it a day. Could it go into the automatic transmission? Maybe not having it plugged in to wherever its supposed to go is causing the miss? Or maybe it's one of those connectors that was never supposed to plug into anything?

20130808_192206_zpsccb388fa.jpg

20130808_192222_zpsfe670a3a.jpg

Edited by tar6569
clarification

That other wire/connector you see in the pic is the hood light. I did have that one unplugged but the main one I pictured is something different. It's a bigger connector.

Also, can the back of the engine be raised with a jack to make the rear plugs easier to get out?

I know this probably isn't it, but since it kinda looks like the wires COULD be a purple and yellow (hard to tell in the pic), and since you mentioned it was routed down to the trans area, I'm thinking VSS, since those wires are purple and yellow. But if your speedometer works, then that's probably not it. We need wire colors as that will at least narrow it a bit.

The '95 LQ1 Grand Prix, and Cutlass had that connector, but the connector has a red tab on it, and sits on the passenger side...looks like this one is near the master cylinder.

Did the later cars still have the power steering pressure sensor?

94-95 3.4 cars had it, i think the 3800s did too, but the 93-95 3100 did not, IIRC.

• 1 year later...

Mystery solved! Have the engine apart some underneath and cradle out to do oil pan gasket and fix leaks. It ended up plugging into the steering rack!!! Couldn't see where it plugged in until we had the drivers side by wheel well partially disassembled. Still hasnt affeted driving the car but it will be plugged in now. Haha