Valve Cover Gasket?

NickAbate

I think I have a bad valve cover gasket. a few weeks ago I noticed oil on two of the three front spark plugs. My question would be, has anyone had this issue and is it an easy fix? Also, I still have that hard starting problem which I still think may be the fuel pump but could that oil on the spark plugs be related to it not always wanting to start and idling rough?

Nick...would love to help, make/model/year would go a long way toward someone being able to answer your question about your specific car...but I can't think of too many engines where replacing a valve cover gasket isn't pretty easy.

I think I have a bad valve cover gasket. a few weeks ago I noticed oil on two of the three front spark plugs. My question would be, has anyone had this issue and is it an easy fix? Also, I still have that hard starting problem which I still think may be the fuel pump but could that oil on the spark plugs be related to it not always wanting to start and idling rough?

oops sorry. its a 1993 chevy lumina z34 with the 3.4L engine.

Too easy nick, well depending on the setup really, does your car have the two front motor mounts on it or just the side mount? The drivers side is easy to get loose and someone correct me of I'm wron on the passenger side if the bracket has to come off or loose. Pretty sure it does. But no it isn't bad, even taking that stuff off. Just make sure you clean the oil out of the notch the gasket sits in on the valve cover. Once your new (preferably felpro) gaskets get slimey they can be a pain to get on without falling out. I have used a small bit of rtv gasket maker in the trouble spots and let dry if you have to.

If they are the black valve covers its more likely that they are cracked around the bolts and the cover itself will need replacing, at least this is the case with 3100s. Not sure about the DOHC engines but its something to keep in mind.

a few weeks ago I noticed oil on two of the three front spark plugs. My question would be, has anyone had this issue and is it an easy fix?

Could be cam cover gasket, could be cam carrier-to-cylinder head gasket. Either one can leak oil into the spark plug area. First Guess: More likely the cam carrier-to-head gasket, which requires removing the cam carrier. Considering the condition of the head gaskets and every one of the exhaust valves in my '93 3.4 and the spare set of heads I bought, I would not pull the cam carriers without also yanking the heads to perform a valve job...

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/49657-Losing-coolant-into-2

...and on a pre-1995 3.4, inspecting to verify that the oiling modification has been performed...

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/49738-LQ1-Service-Bulletin-57-61-09-Lifter-tick-%28cold%29

...along with cleaning the lifters.

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/49680-1993-3-4-DOHC-quot-Lifters-quot

While the heads are off, be sure to install a new O-ring on the oil pump drive, replace the alternator if there's any doubt about it's condition, and install a block heater if you're in a cold-weather area. All three of these jobs are ultra-easy when the rear head is removed.

Also, I still have that hard starting problem which I still think may be the fuel pump but could that oil on the spark plugs be related to it not always wanting to start and idling rough?

Unlikey that oil on the plug wires is causing a hard-starting condition without also causing rough running ALL THE TIME.

Edited by Schurkey

The LQ1 is super easy to replace the valve cover gasket...I'd suspect the leak is the 'donuts" that surround the spark plug tubes. Just pull the plug wires, the silly vacuum elbow on the passenger's side of the cover, and the screw next to the vacuum elbow that holds the spark wire loom on the valve cover.

Hardest part is keeping the neoprene gasket in place on the valve cover when installing..I usually use wheel bearing grease, applying a bit in the groove the gasket sits in. It's thick enough to "glue" the gasket to the valve cover long enough to get it on the engine, and won't hurt a thing.