Door handle snapped amognst other things

GaPrix

Well driving home from helping out my brother, the engine stalled out on me as I was throttling up into traffic luckily there was a empty lot I dove right into, upon reentering the vehicle from investigating the cause of the stall the handle snaps, to make matter worse while towing the car home, I failed at braking, the trailer hitch on the car-truck caught in the fog light while turning and ripped out half the bumper. So about this handle, does the entire thing have to be replaced or can just the handle part?

What do the handle assemblies with lights look light? Just an illuminated lock?

Edited by GaPrix
Horrible grammar

The whole thing is generally easier, it's literally 2 bolts and a screw.

The illuminated keyring can be swapped from your now broken handle to the new handle

P.S., sorry about your luck! We've all been there....

..you'll need a Torx bit to take apart the lock cylinder to swap out the cylinder, and the keyhole light...

The whole thing is generally easier, it's literally 2 bolts and a screw.

The illuminated keyring can be swapped from your now broken handle to the new handle

P.S., sorry about your luck! We've all been there....

Does your key ring light still work? Mine never did and I always wondered what they looked like and could never find replacements so I kind of gave up. When you change out your handle look for a piece on the lever part that will make contact with the parts still remaining in the door, take something like a dremel tool or sandpaper even and round that edge off to where it wont wear out the area that the first one probably broke at. Junkyard for a new bumper:thumbsup:

..you'll need a Torx bit to take apart the lock cylinder to swap out the cylinder, and the keyhole light...

Ah yes. slipped my mind

Once i get the car back I'll get a picture of where it broke at. Shop said fuel pump is bad. I'm just curious about the illuminated key ring, I've heard about them but since those aren't made as replacements I've never seen them, I didn't clarify that well.

Thanks for the info so far! There's about 7 coupes at the junkyard, 2 with flawless bumpers! 1 with leather!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all, new door handle on, tried the j/y but either the handles were gone or destroyed. Bumper has been stitched up again. Now I just need to find a decent bumper.

I've finally learned when I'm in junkyards, to look for good door handles..I have two driver's and one passenger handle now stocked up for mine..:lol:

I've finally learned when I'm in junkyards, to look for good door handles..I have two driver's and one passenger handle now stocked up for mine..:lol:

I have quite a few, for each of the Ws. The door handles on my GP are originals, and they are still going strong. The Cutty I have dorman handles that I picked up for the yard.

I actually came across one at the j/y, broken of course. I got to thinking about it and i can't really find a good reason for it to be lit.

no, only when you pull the exterior handle, maybe interior too, I don't remember, funny thing is there's only a light on the driver's side but either side handle will make it light up.

Just went out and checked... yep, either handle inside or outside and either door, stays on for 6-7 seconds.

Edited by emb1230

okay thanks I was really wondering how it was activated. it just seems strange to me, if you can find the handle and pull it then you should find the lock too

Ya know, I want it just to have it on the car.

Edited by GaPrix