99 MC 3.1 alt bracket help needed !!??

Montesittinup

Hey everyone I got a 99 Monte Carlo with the 3.1 in it , the alternator bracket bolt that goes into back of head has snapped off :/ I figured I could make it work without it but 9 months and 2 brackets later they keep snapping over time , well breaking .. Maybe tension pulley going out ?? Not sure but my main question is , is there any other bracket I can use ? Mine is the one that sits up a bit compared to like he one on a malibu that has the engine hoist with it .. Wish I could upload pic on my phone. But I guess I'm going to have to try and drill the bolt out and find another bracket whic is proving more difficult ecerytime one breaks :( thanks guys

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mrXLDJBnAPf63_jsVWaGmkw.jpg

the link is what bracket looks like btw :( super irritating the bracket is broken on bottom bolt well where it goes thru bracket so it's just the long skinny part top that is supporting the pressure so it's only matter of time ! Since my alternator went out figured I need to fix this its causing me way more problems and time !

Edited by Montesittinup

When the tensioners go bad they get loose in my experience. Do you have the right length belt?

If there is some bolt left, use heat and vice grips to get the old one out. Use anti-sieze on the new bolts.

BTW we refer to your engine as the 3100.

Oh ok ya it is a 3100 I figured they same thing kinda but yeah I'm going to try it ! nd yeah I got the right belt it didn't do it until I got a diff engine put in but it looks as if where the bolt goes in half the threads Are missing like the actual head broke hard to explain :( where bolt goes in I can see threads but it look like a half circle and about inch under that I can see bolt broke in there so gonna be hard to get out

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is your missing the steel support bracket that goes behind that aluminum one, and your also missing the steel brace that goes from the plenum bolt to that alternator bolt. Thats why you keep breaking those aluminum brackets.

Yeah I have the pull bracket that acts as a spacer on the way ... The way the bolt broke I can't get anything attached to bolt to get it out :-/ just need another bracket ... And I have no clue what u r talking about another part I'm missing ?? It has never been on there any pictures or anything thanks!

I agree, there is a black steel spacer which is also an engine lift point that is important and needs replaced. You also need to get the alternator to intake brace.

ALSO... the aluminum braces usually have a vertical bolt below the alternator, I don;t think that can be put in if the spacer is missing.

I can't see you getting the broken bolt out even with great difficulty, but if you get everything else put together properly, you should be able to run much longer between aluminum braces...

Edited by Crazy K

Yeah if anyone has a pic of the intake brace please let me know lol I got the engine pull bracket on way to me now just in need of a new bracket !! Someone must have one lol

The steel bracket has a loop on the end as a engine hoist. It goes directly behind the aluminum one, it Is a direct Match to the aluminum one that runs from alternator down past your power steering pump. Be careful as to not get the PS lines out of wack while reinstalling. One bolt missing will not destroy you at all. You will be ok... I have on ocassion left one out... It just happeneds sometimes. Good luck!

PS I know how that bolt got. Broke, wouthout that bracket being there you still had play when the bolt whas already bottomed out and you tried your damnest to tighten it right?

Probably lol .... I put 3400 ported polished heads / intakes on my old motor eventually blew my camshaft , then I got a junkyard motor and ever since it has been breaking! I just got that black engine pull bracket in so now to find me a alternator bracket and should be back on the game !!! Still want to buy one if someone got one !