1998 Chevy Lumina - Engine Cradle

blantrip

Hello Long time stalker first time post.

My Son has bent the engine cradle. I am assuming the procedure is to pull everything to replace the cradle?

Thank you in advance.

Brent

Cradle of my '92 Lumina was bent in a collision. Chevy dealer said they could "cheat" and pull it while bolted to the body.

Been driving fine for years afterward.

I suppose it depends on WHERE and HOW MUCH it's been damaged.

it's located by the passenger A-arm not to bad, but bad enough to cause the tire to rub. I'm looking to do it on the cheap couple of places are saying $1000 plus so i'm trying to do it on my own.

Cradle of my '92 Lumina was bent in a collision. Chevy dealer said they could "cheat" and pull it while bolted to the body.

Been driving fine for years afterward.

I suppose it depends on WHERE and HOW MUCH it's been damaged.

it's located by the passenger A-arm not to bad, but bad enough to cause the tire to rub. I'm looking to do it on the cheap couple of places are saying $1000 plus so i'm trying to do it on my own.

Done this twice now... Took the hood off to have better lighting down where I was working and to better position my support brace. I supported the drivetrain from above with a bar between the fenders. After the engine/trans is supported, undo the ballpoints, undo engine/trans mount bolts, undo rack mounting bolts and suspend the rack with wire. unbolt power steering cooler loop, then you should be ready to drop the cradle. I feel I'm missing something but that is the general idea.

pic of my wife's lumi shortly before dropping the cradle:

IMG_46411024.jpg

Mine after extracting the cradle:

IMG_1549_zps23e16c40.jpg

Edited by LumiLTZ

I can't exactly remember how much time I spent on it, since when I did the wife's (had to replace the cradle due to rust-out of the mounts) it was a couple of weekends, though I didn't continuously work on it due to other obligations. When I dropped the cradle on mine (did so after giving up trying to get the motor mount out despite pulling the engine up about as far as it would go, and also to have easier access to replace the leaknig oil pan gasket) I had it back together in 1 weekend, but it was about 2 full days of work with the additional jobs of the oil pan gasket and replacing control arm and swaybar bushings while I had the frame out.

• 4 years later...

Greetings!

NEW HERE;

But I'm sure curious why LumiLTZ

opted for the Universal Engine Support Fixture (OVER using any old regular engine hoist)?

And so, if R&I oil pan (for instance) ...

is it easier/better to heave/push/shove the engine around hanging with the Tool - OR RATHER - slung from standard hoist?

Are some hoists better than others?

THANKS KINDLY,

Old Blues Man

PS:  thanks kindly! LumiLTZ

for the excellent photos and good advice so far!

Maybe he just happened to have that fixture? It's a little easier because it keeps the engine centered better, and you don't have to fight getting it re-aligned with the cradle, but there's no reason you can't do the oil pan gasket with an engine hoist.

I have done extensive work, engine swaps, transmission swaps, subframe drops, etc with just a cherry picker. The support brace is a nice to have, but not required.

I've replaced a cradle before with just a engine lift.

The job would have been significantly easier with a engine brace, then I wouldn't have had the legs of the lift in my way the entire time.

• Like 1

It looks like they call it ''3-point engine support bar'' in aftermarket.

OTC Tools looks like the ''deluxe'' version ... at Amazon for $180 new and $135 used ...

... and HF has the $59 version.

Oil Pan Replacement

I've replaced a cradle before with just a engine lift.

The job would have been significantly easier with a engine brace, then I wouldn't have had the legs of the lift in my way the entire time.

I'm still a little curious if the 3-point brace allows to ''rock'' the engine enough ... SEEMS like it would ... there's been discussion (other forums) about how it was ''CHALLENGING to tease the motor back onto the mounts and into the cradle'' and in particular if the car isn't quite level to begin with.