BRAKE warning light on, wtf?

crazyd

My "BRAKE" light has come on and won't shut off. Did some thread searching here but couldn't find anything relevant, nor could I find anything in my FSM. I checked pads, they're fine, fluid level is fine, tried unplugging the level sensor on the M/C but it didn't make any difference. So what is it trying to tell me? Does the parking brake cable need adjustment?

if you have ABS, that can also kick the brake light on. that's what mine was for a long time, finally disconnected the wire that the EBCM uses to turn it on, went out, so the next logical step was to remove the EBCM entirely.

• 1 month later...

my 95 is doing the same thing. The right front intermediate wheel speed sensor wire is broke causing the ABS light to be on. Will that cause the brake light to be on also? I unplugged the e-brake switch and MC level sensor but nothing helped? I have to look at the e-brake switch diagram to determine how to tell if the switch is bad. Would the switch for the brake pedal cause this?

Thanks

the EBCM can trigger the brake light if it wants to. if you want to determine that as the source of it being on, disconnect the EBCM connector that has a whole bunch of little wires going into it(it also has another connector with ~6 large wires, don't bother with that one). if the light goes out, that is what is triggering it.

I finally ordered an MT2500 to deal with this problem 2 weeks ago. About two days later I was straightening out my steering wheel after a lazy alignment shop didn't, and must've tugged on the ABS wire in the wheelwell while I was adjusting the tie rod, because it suddenly went away - both the ABS and BRAKE lights turned off! The MT2500 showed up three days ago and concurred that everything was fine. Fortunately I have two other OBD1 cars that it'll also work on!

Edited by crazyd