'92 -> '96 front brake upgrade question

crazyd

The only thing that needs to be changed is the Knuckle and the rotor. Your old calipers, brackets and brake pads bolt right up.

On second Gens that is the case, change the bracket, rotor and slap the caliper back on.

On our first gens the entire knuckle is different but the caliper bracket is the same. As much of a total pain in the ass that it is I highly recommend the swap.

My GTP came stock with rear discs so I'm all set there, but I just blew my day fighting with balljoints, tie rods and axle nuts on two different '95 Luminas and finally said the hell with it. The braking in my car isn't inadequate, I was just looking for a cool upgrade project... but I'm going to pass on this one for now, because I know it's going to be difficult, if not impossible to separate the outer tie rods on my car (already attempted it earlier this year and failed), and I also don't want to substitute a Lumina sedan's front strut for a GTP coupe's without knowing what differences there are between them.

Since I plan on painting the calipers and using braided lines. When I got my '96 front brake set up I took everything from the bearing pad to the caliper to the brake line as a unit. That way I can have everything prepped and ready before they are installed including bushings, ball joints, & rod ends.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the '96 caliper/frame bolt directly on to the '92 knuckle, or does the bracket (the steel plate bolted between the knuckle & bearing) have to be transferred from the '96 as well?

u need the complete spindels from the 96