CAN I JUST PUT THE BLOWER ON???

Gleno

Hello All, So I have a 1988 Lesabre T Type all stock but I want to supercharge it. Can I add the 3800 supercharger to this one or do I have to change the motor to a new series 3800 with the blower? Please let me know what else im looking at for this job.:think:

I believe you can pop it on (with a different belt of course), but I'm sure there are some other things you'll need to make it work CORRECTLY. I'm not familiar with the older engines though, so I'll let someone else chime in

I had a friend who did this, I don't remember much, but it seemed that it was pretty easy swap and involved in just adding super charger and intake and misc items. 95Vert probably can speak about this.

I don't know about the earlier 3800's But on the Series 2 and 3 NA motors you need to use the Heads and Lower Intake & fuel Rails from a supercharged motor to do a top swap....along with change the crank pulley, add the necessary tensioners/idlers for the SC belt.... Not quite as easy as just "slapping" a blower on. If I had to take a wild guess I would assume the same applies for the Series 1 motors too. You'd probably have to find all the Series 1 Supercharged parts to make it work. Then tuning is a whole seprate issue.

There are quite a few differences between Series I, and Series II and III engines...shorter deck on a Series II and III, shorter rods, larger valves, different crank, not to mention possibly the most important--lower compression ratio on the L67. ANYTHING is possible--but that doesn't necessarily follow it's a good idea. I can only speak for myself, but if it were my car, I'd have to say the answer is firmly "no".

It is easier to swap a series 1 L67 than to bolt an m62 to an L27 or LN3.

It has been done, with only ~25k miles before piston damage. The LN3 and L27 do not respond well to the SC.

The pistons are different between the SC and NA on the series 1. The m62 also isn't a very efficient blower. It's a total heat factory; worse than the m90.

If you want more power on a series 1, pull the LIM and heads and dremel out the casting imperfections with grinding stones. You'll pick up a good amount of power that way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I was going to say...even if it COULD be pulled off, why would you go through the time, effort and money to do that for the minimal gains it will produce? And then you've got basically nothing for mods on the Series I to grow from there. An L67 swap (which has been done MANY times to the LeSabre T Type) can be done fairly cheap nowadays, especially with the ground work of what you need already laid out for you by the dozens of people that have done it. I'd spend the bit extra and do a swap to a whole supercharged series II drivetrain. More power to begin with, a LOT more mods available and the far easier task of tuning an OBDII computer.

I STILL want to pick up an '89 BLT in black or maroon one of these days, and swap to a series III 3800 with a custom turbo on it since everyone assumes "T-Type" on anything means turbo anyway. :lol:

Edited by RareGMFan

To be completely honest with you, I wish I would have replaced my busted L27 with another L27. I had plenty of power and the car was very fun to drive with a huge top end gain from YT roller rockers and LIM and head porting. I was running 94% injector duty cycle on stock injectors.

Keep it simple. My recommendation is to avoid turning a daily driver into a project car.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the response. And it sounds like a bad idea, So I guess plan B I guess I will get a series II and go that route. Thanks again

That's probably your best bet...Find a decent lower mileage complete Series 2 L67 motor and all the necessary components to do an OBD2 swap and do it that way if you really want to supercharge the car.

To be completely honest with you, I wish I would have replaced my busted L27 with another L27. I had plenty of power and the car was very fun to drive with a huge top end gain from YT roller rockers and LIM and head porting. I was running 94% injector duty cycle on stock injectors.

what's that? turbo L27 project?